Dynamic Arrays

Started by
36 comments, last by adam17 20 years, 8 months ago
Ok i hope this is my last message requesting help on arrays, but not my last message here. anyway, im trying to make my own model loader so i can have the experience. well im reading in the vertices into dynamic arrays, not linked lists. here is how i declared the arrays: int *tmp_array; ... tmp_array = new int[5]; now allocating the arrays is the easy part. the problem im having is reading from them via the [ ] operator. it gives me an access violation whenever i try. any ideas what i could do to read from them?
Advertisement
Hi!

My guess is that youre trying to access elements in the array that don''t exist. For example,

int* tmp_array = new int[5];

tmp_array[5] = something; // this will crash!!

if you declare an array with a size of 5, it will have 5 elements indexed from 0 to 4. You have to know how many elements you will need, and never use any more than what you allocated.

Hope this helps.

quote:Original post by Juggers

that doesn''t necessarily crash... if theres something allocated after it''ll write to it... sometimes

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by Juggers

that doesn''t necessarily crash... if theres something allocated after it''ll write to it... sometimes

true, but that''s even worse, since it will make a completely different part of the program buggy and you won''t know what''s going on.

When I work with arrays I almost always put the line:

assert(index < array_size);

right before the array access, and I highly recommend it.
You should always check to see if the allocated space is not null
int *temp_array;
temp_array = new int[5];
if (temp_array==NULL)
{
cout<<"error"< //get out of program
}
//go on

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

that was fast!
nm. i forgot to mention that i have a global variable (naughty me) that stores the length of the array. basically i read in the number of vertices and its stored in a variable. then i read in the vertices with the keeping in mind the length variable. i dont get the error when im writing to the array, just when im reading from it. im traversing the array from 0 ~ num_vertices-1. my prog will not even read one element. hope that helps.
ok forget my last post. i just did a little debugging of my code and discovered that nothing is being written to the arrays! as a matter of fact the arrays == NULL. am i allocating the arrays wrong (tmp_array = int new[5]) because when i store a value into it i dont get an error. any ideas?
quote:Original post by adam17
ok forget my last post. i just did a little debugging of my code and discovered that nothing is being written to the arrays! as a matter of fact the arrays == NULL. am i allocating the arrays wrong (tmp_array = int new[5]) because when i store a value into it i dont get an error. any ideas?

I don''t know if you can allocate arrays like that. I use:
tmp_array = new int[5];

try using the stl "vector"...it''s easier and it handles everything

or try using old c calloc ( array= (int*) calloc(n,sizeof(int)))

in this way it stores n*sizeof(int) bytes...
it''s not the best way though....

There aren''''t problems that can''''t be solved with a gun...
There aren''t problems that can''t be solved with a gun...
Try initializing tmp_array to NULL.

.lick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement