• Create Account

Distrubiting to a single store

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tiso   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 June 2000 - 07:05 AM

Can I just distribute to a single store like EB? Or a Babbages? What are the chances of them letting you do that? Are there contracts involved? If so, are they good or bad ones? ............ Guardian Angel Interactive

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 June 2000 - 08:48 AM

It''s possible.
But you need to coordinate everything.

-design a nice quality cd rom package/manual or use a jewel case.
-Manufacturing of CDROM copies/package/manual.
-Transport (UPS for instance) to the warehouse of retailer.
-support for customers.
-maybe you also need to support finanically the retailer with promotion of your product

So that''s why most people prefer a publisher.

#3 Nazrix   Members   -  Reputation: 307

Posted 22 June 2000 - 09:47 AM

Don''t you have to buy some sort of liscense or something? I thought I have heard that.

#4 Crystal Interactive CEO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 June 2000 - 06:46 PM

EB, Babbages and other major retail chains require a contract which costs you about $25.000 - $50.000. This is just to get started as an account of theirs... On top of that you pay $1.000 - $2.500 for each title you enroll into their retail programme.

Just going up to a buyer at a store simply does not suffice, and on top of the $26.000+ you have to spend anyway, you of course need to give the store 30-60 days credit for "sale or return". Which means you get back what they don''t sell. They also won''t pay you for that.

Like you can see there are probably a lot of ''wannabe publishers'' but only few have the means to actually get something on the shelves.

Take care,

Alex

#5 Tiso   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2000 - 11:26 AM

Okay, I have access to a CD burner, and a labeler (I love having cpu loving family members ), but, how would I make a box? The only thing I can think of is an old card board box and painting it. LOL

Were the decimals in your prices supposed to be commas? Or were they actually decimals?

Guardian Angel Interactive

#6 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 23 June 2000 - 02:44 PM

1. If you''re serious about making boxes, don''t make them. You can buy them from a printer. Just ask around, or look on the Internet.

2. In the European Union, dots and commas are used opposite how they are in the United States. Thus 2.500 is two thousand five hundred. And 2.500,25 is two thousand five hundred and 25/100ths. You get used to reading either way after awhile.

DavidRM
Samu Games

#7 Crystal Interactive CEO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 June 2000 - 04:19 AM

Nice to see you''re not scared by the huge numbers I quote

I reckon there are smaller chains like Micro Center who would have a lower treshold for newbies. Still you are really taking on a LOT of work and not to mention trouble by trying to sell into retail. It''s a long hard slog to finally get some money from these guys. Almost as bad as having Ingram Micro as a distributor

Good luck!

Take care,

Alex

#8 Tiso   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 June 2000 - 12:01 PM

Whoa! That''s alot of money! That I don''t have! Geesh, a nasty price. It makes me sick just thinking about it!

#9 Obscure   Moderators   -  Reputation: 174

Posted 24 June 2000 - 01:05 PM

What no one has mentioned so far is that you will need to market your game. Stores don''t buy games because they are good, they buy them based on the amount of money you are going to spend on marketing.

Dan Marchant
www.obscure.co.uk

#10 Tiso   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 June 2000 - 01:26 PM

What do you mean by marketing? How much marketing ect?

#11 Crystal Interactive CEO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 June 2000 - 07:26 AM

Hmm... I guess you''ve got a point there Dan, but only with regards to high end games. If you''re operating in the budget segment there is a much lower treshold. Sure, you have to fork out some in-store advertising money and have a marketing plan (usually just a spec sheet) ready stating that the product you have is being endorsed or that you''re doing this and that to promote the fact that it exists and that it''s good... In terms of budget we have the simple philosophy that packaging sells the game, not vice versa. You can have the best game in the world but if you stick it in a grey box just saying "Game" and put no advertsing behind it you''re not going to sell a single copy. A really low quality game can however sell tons of copies based on a cool packaging design alone. But I digress...

Sorry for forgetting to mention this Tiso. It''s indeed a very important aspect of getting a game to market.

Take care,

Alex

#12 SonicSilcion   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 June 2000 - 07:57 AM

quote:
Original post by Crystal Interactive CEO
. . . you of course need to give the store 30-60 days credit for "sale or return". Which means you get back what they don''t sell. They also won''t pay you for that.

So all of the ''bargain bin'' games I see are actually in the store because the publisher managed to negotiate a better contract [for themsleves] saying something like "Electronic Boutique will buy a minimum of 50,000 units," right?

Hmm, it would be nice if there was a store dedicated to ''local'' developers. To cut costs they could offer ''standard'' and ''deluxe'' copies of the software. Standard would just be the CD w/label, a jewel case, and manual. The deluxe version would also have a nice box, a better manual and case, and maybe some other ammenities {like a mini-strategy guide, mousepad, quick reference card, ''hologram'', etc.}

#13 Crystal Interactive CEO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 June 2000 - 03:10 AM

The bargain bin stuff is actually overstock that has already been returned once in most cases. If we release a game and it won''t sell we''d get the unsold copies returned to us. After that we have to beg the stores to sell off the overstock to them for under $1 for each unit. It hardly ever happens to us, but many publishers seem to have this problem. GT anyone?

Take care,

Alex

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS