DirectX GUI System - your opinions please

Started by
282 comments, last by CrazyEddie 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi there! As part of the project I am working on, I am producing a GUI system using DirectX 8 graphics. This part of the project has now reached a point where I feel it would be good to get some outside feeback. You can go to my web-page here and download a small demo application, and also the source code if you wish. I am making the system totally free, so if you want you can download it and use it in your own stuff. Anyway, all constructive comments are welcomed, as well as reports on what systems it works on and what systems it does not. Keep in mind though that I do not consider this finished, and I do not consider the project to be of final production standard - yet. Thanks in advance - so, let me have it Update 1: Have fixed a minor rendering bug in the Listbox and Multi-column list controls. The text items were previously rendered too far down - I was offsetting the Y co-ord by the width of the frame segemnt instead of the height! Foolish person Update 2: Fixed the bug where windows could be sized to the point they were invisible. Switched on multi-select in the listboxes Fixed a bug where controls that were clipped by thier parent window were 'clickable' from outside the window even though there was nothing visible there. This also manifested itself as being hard to 'grab' the edge of the window where the frame overlapped a clipped control. Update 3: Changed the fix I did that limited the minimum size of windows. This is now vastly improved and also fixes another bug (thanks to bcome) Added an optional close button to frame windows. [edited by - CrazyEddie on August 20, 2003 8:32:22 AM] [edited by - CrazyEddie on August 20, 2003 2:06:05 PM] [edited by - CrazyEddie on August 21, 2003 9:49:40 AM] [edited by - CrazyEddie on March 27, 2004 9:05:11 AM]
Advertisement
Wow great demo. I really love your GUI. I hope you'll soon finish the documentation. Also.. I don't think I'd use it, but I'd like to read how you implemented it.

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on August 20, 2003 6:11:04 AM]

Nice gui

But tell me, why does the app try and connect to the internet when you run it?
Glad you like what you see!

Pipo DeClown: Documentation is not a high priority, but if there was a great deal of interest I might be persuaded to bring that task forward! Also, it is possible I could write something about how it is implemented etc, but again, it is not a priority.

Robbo: There is no code in there that accesses the ''net (read the source if you like!). Can you tell me where exactly it is trying to connect to?

Zonealarm asked me if I would like to let your proggie access the internet when I ran it first time - its now in my zone alarm program list.

quote:Original post by Robbo

Zonealarm asked me if I would like to let your proggie access the internet when I ran it first time - its now in my zone alarm program list.

Very strange indeed!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, unfortunately I have been unable to reproduce this behaviour here, so I would be very interested in hearing whether anyone else has experienced anything similar.
That''s a really amazing GUI! It''s more advanced than anything I''ve ever seen so far. I feel kind of bad nit-picking... but here are a few (two) things I''ve noticed, which I''m sure are propbably already in your mind since this is only an alpha version:

Window''s can be sized down to nothing (so they become invisible and unclickable).

The combo box should probably allow more than one option to be selected at a time (perhaps it does).

But yeah.. really amazing. When I develope my GUI, I''d be pleased if it was even half as good as yours!

Thanks a lot.. really amazing demo!

Specs:
Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb)
Windows XP SP1
1GB RAM

Note: I also got that internet warning too from my firewall (Norton).

___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___      /\  \     /\__\     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\__\    /::\  \   /:/ _/_   _\:\  \   _\:\  \    \:\  \   /::\  \   /::\  \   /:/ _/_  /::\:\__\ /:/_/\__\ /::::\__\ /::::\__\   /::\__\ /::\:\__\ /::\:\__\ /::-"\__\ \/\:\/__/ \:\/:/  / \::;;/__/ \::;;/__/  /:/\/__/ \;:::/  / \:\:\/  / \;:;-",-"    \/__/   \::/  /   \:\__\    \:\__\    \/__/     |:\/__/   \:\/  /   |:|  |               \/__/     \/__/     \/__/               \|__|     \/__/     \|__|  
Nice demo. I''ll have to take a look at the implementation and steal some tricks. :ob

So ''Crazy Eddie'', are you a Motie with a Don Quixote complex? ;o) I''m half way through Niven and Pournelle''s second book and your name jumped out of the screen at me, lol. Or maybe you got your pseudonym from something totally different...
quote:Original post by Fuzztrek
Window''s can be sized down to nothing (so they become invisible and unclickable).

The combo box should probably allow more than one option to be selected at a time (perhaps it does).

Note: I also got that internet warning too from my firewall (Norton).

Thanks for the nice comments

Window sizing - yes, this is something I have marked to be fixed.

The combo-box, do you mean listbox (the one without the drop-down list?). If so then that and the multi-column list both have support for multiple selections.

Thanks for confirming the firewall issue - still can''t think what could be doing it

quote:Original post by Igilima
Nice demo. I''ll have to take a look at the implementation and steal some tricks. :ob

So ''Crazy Eddie'', are you a Motie with a Don Quixote complex? ;o) I''m half way through Niven and Pournelle''s second book and your name jumped out of the screen at me, lol. Or maybe you got your pseudonym from something totally different...

Thanks for your comments. You may steal away!

The ''Crazy Eddie'' name was given to be by some "friends" - it was in reference to the computer geek character in the TV show First-Wave.
Nice...
How appropriate, you fight like a cow!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement