Playing cards graphic set

Started by
6 comments, last by Kilo731 23 years, 9 months ago
I''m looking into creating a card game of some sort but i would like to find a set of playing cards graphics. Can anyone help me out?
+---------+| KiLo731 |+---------+
Advertisement
A deck of normal cards isn''t usually considered a masterpiece. The faces of the cards should be pretty easy to do yourself. As for the back... if you just want a temporary fill-in graphic, you could rip the card backs from Windows Solitaire or something (good ole PrintScrn and then paste in Windows Paint)
There''s a deck of cards with backs in Spriteworks which would work, but they aren''t that great and the guy wants $20 for the graphics library.

- n8

nathany.com
Hey well if your card game isn''t going to be sold, why don''t you use the cards from Windows Solitare?

If you have Turbo C++ 4.5, use Resource Workshop to open up sol.exe and then right click on the bitmap, and save as a new bitmap.

after you do this to all the cards, create a .dll that contains all the cards, then like magic! you have a card set.

If you want to sell your game, either make your own cards, or contact Microsoft and ask them if you can use their bitmaps.

Actually it is easier just to rip the cards straight from where Solitaire, Hearts, Freecell do...

Cards.dll found in the Windows/System directory should do the trick!

If you don''t want to load the cards at runtime, open the dll in MSVC++, (in resources mode), and save the images...

-Big Al
Wow! Big Al, you beat me posting that!

I just remembered that one and I was about to post and then I saw your reply.

The reply I made a minute ago, is the way I used to get the cards.

I forgot about cards.dll!

Sorry for posting 'The Long way' on how to get the images.

Edited by - DeeExSevenPointO on June 27, 2000 12:35:40 AM
OK, seriously, let''s say you''re going to create a game that you are going to sell, and you need unique quality non copyrighted material. You should probably make them.

Use Illustrator or whatever. You need digits from 0 to 9. Not so hard. You need clubs, hearts, spades, and diamonds in 2 sizes. Aces and other cards. Not so hard.

Face cards. Ugh! Well, if you analyze face card geometry, you''ll see that it is actually repetitive patterns flip flopped about and probably lots of parallel lines, curves, etc.

Bottom line: A day''s worth of work could probably yield a pretty good set.

Or you could bang your head and waste a day trying to find a way to cheat.

Here''s an interesting method I used once...

(1) Get a windows True-Type Font file of the card deck. You can find these around. I just quickly found one at:
http://rover.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~kikita/ding2.htm
You can find better examples...

(2) Get a copy of POV-Ray at www.povray.org ; a free ray-tracer.

(3) Use pov-ray to render the cards. Once you''re familiar with POV-Ray you can get some cool effects. Also you can easily generate images of the cards rotating, etc...

I''m sure there are other 3D programs you can use that allow you to import a TTF file for. I used POV-Ray because I already had it and knew how to do it.

Just my $0.02..

// CHRIS
// CHRIS [win32mfc]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement