• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

Graphics program for making tiles?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheRelic   Members   -  Reputation: 135

Posted 27 June 2000 - 06:04 PM

What are some good programs for drawing out tiles with a fixed palette? I will be using a fixed 256 color palette, but not sure which programs give me the most assortment of drawing tools. I have designed and made a game. It is a pbem game with a host and client program, however, the client program has some erally sad graphics. I want to replace them, but I am not sure what is the best program to draw them up. Most of the ones I have seen require the continuous reloading of a palette if you use a specific one. I think I want something that can do some of the most simple thing that Deluxe Paint 2 did, with color spreading simply by clicking on 2 colors and spread those 2 colors together. Allow me to draw a pattern on the screen, take a snap shot of it and make it into a pattern easily. But I have no idea of what is out there at the moment for win95/98. If you wish to see the sad graphics use the following link, but be warned it takes a while to load. http://members.tripod.com/~TheWarRoom/aquahelp.html

Sponsor:

#2 Dade 11   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 June 2000 - 03:09 AM

PSP 6 or something like that.

Dade 11

#3 The_C_Guy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 June 2000 - 09:42 AM

Tile Studio has a good tile editor in it.

http://www.cs.kun.nl/is/ts/

#4 Mathias   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 30 June 2000 - 02:58 PM

If i have understood you corectly you can do that kind of stuff with Paintshop Pro, i you take an image and add noise filter, after that you can use Colorise to get the noise to a specific color, noise are very tileable and also you can take a image that is 4 times larger, add the noise and colorise, blur and then cut out the middle of it and it should be tileable to.
Thats just some tips..

- mathias

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 01 July 2000 - 02:50 PM

If you want those tiles - or for anyone that neeeds tiles Infinity Textures is definitely your #1 choice. It has the largest and least complicated set of tools I have seen in any program. These tiles can be used for anything from games to bumps, textures , to html backgrounds.
Downside - if you can''t afford it you''re gonna have to settle for evaluation version -
Another - also very good program - that comes in a close 2nd place is reptile - which i recomend for those that only witsh to use this program for web tiles mostly - very easy to use

#6 Zonbie   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 July 2000 - 01:16 PM

I use Paint Shop Pro 6 - there is a feature for loading/saving palettes. Also, if you can find it...Deluxe Paint 2 is still handy for them textures!

Hope this helps!

#7 Stefpet   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 July 2000 - 08:31 PM

Do also check out the software called ProMotion, it''s like an up-to-date Windows version of the classic Amiga DeluxePaint. It''s designed for pixel artists in mind.

ProMotion URL:
http://cosmigo.com/promotion/

#8 AtypicalAlex   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 July 2000 - 04:29 AM

ProMotion is pretty good, but can be tedious. Tile Studio is a nice freeware prog, too.

------------------------------
Changing the future of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS