What should a First Person Shooter have?

Started by
33 comments, last by Master Defiant 23 years, 9 months ago
I want to know what a First Person Shooter should have to be truely magnificient? I have setup a team and we are developing a first person shooter (as you may have guessed) and we want it to be as good as possible. Please, let me know your views and ideas. Edited by - Master Defiant on 6/28/00 12:56:11 PM
Advertisement
I think a FPS needs to have atmosphere. We already have way too many "run around killing anything that moves" games. Personally, I play FPS games a lot and the thing I look for the most the overall feel, especially the music and sound.

Thief is a great FPS. It may not have the raw graphics power of Quake or Unreal but it has some of the best game-play I have ever seen. It does not rely on huge weapons or power-ups, only the player''s skill can guarantee their safety.

Well, there is my opinion.

Happy coding.
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/resist.jpg
It should have a large range of guns. It also needs a lot of maps. Try to get a mulit-player version in there too. It should have a section in teh game where all you do is shoot up badguys with guns. In a game you like shooting things, right? In some games you just want to blow up a bunch of bad guys, but there''s no place to do it. That''s what that section is for.

Dade 11
To be more specific on the lots of guns issue, i think you really need/want a damn good variety of guns. Gun application is the issue. Try to avoid the abomb weapon, these are a game design flaws and should be avoided at all costs. Think smart when you approach this issue.

Secondly, and probably the most important issue is enemies. What are they. Try to avoid the frame of mind enemy = bipedal or enemy = bad alien dude. Think with inovation. like enemy could equal gun turret or computer system or generator. What i''m trying to say here is be creative with the very essence of what a enemy could resemble. Think deeply, attack this idea with all you have.

Next most important is the map. What can you have in a map... lift, stairs, ladders, doors, rooms, etc. expand this list to the max and i mean go stupid with it. Then work out why they are different. Deconstruct these element to their prime then reconstruct the anyway you want and check out the result.

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"
Thanks guys for the advice! I just don''t want to have a game people will hate and who doesn''t really.
Pacing!

First person shooters need to be fast paced and they should keep throwing tons of enemies at you. Soldier of Fortune is a great example of this. The pacing in the game was excellent.

Also, remember that people are playing these games for the action. Puzzles are good, but make sure they make sense, and also make sure that they don''t slow down the action too much.

Finally, make sure that the game makes you feel POWERFUL. You want to feel like your in an action movie, and that your the best. That doesn''t mean you should make the game easy, but the game shouldn''t be so hard that the player feels extremely vulnerable.

(Note: these are just what I like to see in first person shooters. There are many games that break this mold in a very good way, Theif, for example).

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
Big world, open space, lots of secrets.

I''m already couped up in the house, I don''t want to feel couped up in my game too. Also, the game''s more replayable if there''s things to find each time. Perhaps have multiple paths all leading to the same place but each one a different environment.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
A FPS should have a GOOD background story and involving plot. We''ve all seen nice FPS graphics by now give us some real content! G''luck on your work!
I''m going to try to give the game all of these things and more. The more advice I receive the better the game will be. Thanks again for giving me your views and opinions guys.
webster defines FPS as:
the act of running in cricles while shooting anything that moves...this act is repeated for 1 to 6 months until user becomes bored and uninstalls the game from his or her harddrive. this process is never repeated more than twice, due to the user''s discovery that all FPSs are exatcly the same.

in other words: make a quake clone. thats what everyone else does.
==============================
whats a signature?
htm[s]l[/s]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement