• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

are RPGs going out of style?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dade 11   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 June 2000 - 03:12 AM

I''m thinking of creating an RPG. Are they out of style? Are games like Half-Life and Diablo 2 in syle now? Dade 11

Sponsor:

#2 MikeD   Members   -  Reputation: 158

Posted 29 June 2000 - 03:25 AM

Don''t make games to be popular, make games you''re passionate about, that''s what makes good games and that''s what makes games popular.

Mike

#3 Silvermyst   Members   -  Reputation: 113

Posted 29 June 2000 - 03:25 AM

Style?

I think that style changes so quickly that especially when you are only beginning to design a game, you might almost want to pick a genre that is NOT in style

Really though, I think people should let go of the whole principle of style. Style to me means that people follow other people''s actions. Instead of discovering what they like best themselves, they merely copy what others do.

And...style works against itself, because once something is in style, people flock to ''get'' it...and then all of a sudden it''s not really all that special anymore, so they flock to something else (because once they start flocking, the supply they get starts to degrade in quality)

Just give up on style...and create a game YOU would like.

(sorry for the heavy thinking, but I''m just really fed up with ''style'' in every possible area...''wear this'' ''eat this'' ''drive this'' ''do this'' ''enjoy this'' ''watch this''...argh!)

#4 theRaskell   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 June 2000 - 03:33 AM

One thing I''ve noticed about this forum is that straight forward answers are almost impossible to get. But here''s one for you.

RPGs are definitely not going out of style. In fact, I think there has been a resurgence in interest in the genre in general. We are even seeing heavily RPG related elements spilling over into the action FPS genre (System Shock, Thief, Deus Ex) Purely action games are starting to lose their edge to games that are offering up more enhanced experiences either in terms of story, teamplay dynamics, or dynamic character building.

That being said though, everything else that has been said in this thread still holds true. Make what you enjoy, and don''t feel like you''re limited to the predefined genres that exist today. Some of the greatest games today are ones that ignore the genre line and blur the definitions.

#5 JmarsKoder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 June 2000 - 03:44 AM

I aint the smartest man in the world, but isnt diablo 2 an rpg?

#6 ColonelMustard   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 June 2000 - 04:00 AM

Well Diablo I was certainly anything but an RPG. Please excuse the expression, but I would call it an RPG for the masses (dont misunderstand me :-)because its ease of use misses out alot of things. It''s fun to play, but its simplified combat, its (inexistant) storyline and the idea that you end up 43x more powerfull than you were in the beginning with a 28x better sword that the common steel sword just doesn''t put it in the RPG category.
Please correct me if i''m wrong, but Diablo II doesnt seem to be much different that the first opus in that way.
BTW, wouldn''t it be a good idea to make an rpg that makes all AD&D rules transparent ? IMHO actual CRPGs are very immersive to start with but you completely hook off when the game becomes a huge maths problem (like How good is my armor :
(armor bonus 12 + stone skin spell level 3) * level 20 + sword of smiting + 2 = 302 ! way cool...)
That would be IMHO a good way to make a RPG that''s not out of style

Cheers
Mustard

#7 Machaira   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1028

Posted 29 June 2000 - 04:09 AM

Here''s my take:

CRPGs/Games with RPG elements are hot right now and will remain so as long as companies produce decent ones.

DiabloII isn''t a CRPG, although it has RPG elements.

Again, create a game you want to play, if it''s an RPG, all the better.

Breakaway Games

#8 Dade 11   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 June 2000 - 06:25 AM

ok, thanks for the in sight

Dade 11

#9 STVOY   Members   -  Reputation: 156

Posted 29 June 2000 - 08:49 AM

Well Now,

Don''t bend to other peoples habits. Make
a game which is fun to create and also fun
to play. Then you have a truly good game.
RPG''s are great and graphics are nice but
they are not everything, help though.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!

#10 Spyder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 June 2000 - 09:15 AM

Hm psst...... dont tell anyone but Diablo is really a Rogue-like game. Ouch! SLap! I take that back!

#11 Jeranon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 June 2000 - 01:56 AM

If you''re making the game, are you making it for yourself or for other people? If for yourself, ignore the world''s opinion. If for others, how far do you want it to reach? Chances are, you''ll only reach a select hardcore.

All in all, RPGs are shifting. Genres are blurring. Don''t worry. Make it fun.

(If you don''t mind doing market research, find out the top selling games in BOTH the PC and Console markets - different markets, but it''ll show what people like : basically, the PC market is not as forgiving as the console market)

But I could be wrong.

#12 Paul Cunningham   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 June 2000 - 09:13 PM

I say make your own style of game. I like to suprise people with my ideas so i hate trying to fit in. Kind of like an evil consirator in a way :-)

"Comptete to set the trend" not "Compete within a trend"

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"

#13 Raz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2000 - 07:40 PM

Never conform!!

I think the problem is that highly developed RPGs are not being done correctly in the true 3D environment(As far as single player is concerned) and that is why you don''t hear a lot about them. However, there is still a huge craving for linear RPGs from the public. Why do you think FF7 and FF8 were such big hits?

Raz

"Imagination is the key to Creation"

#14 Dak Lozar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2000 - 06:19 AM

quote:
Original post by Spyder

Hm psst...... dont tell anyone but Diablo is really a Rogue-like game. Ouch! SLap! I take that back!

I agree. In fact, I think Diablo to be a RL-RPG.
No wonder it was so fun to play!

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

#15 Weirdowe   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2000 - 06:44 AM

Here''s the cold trut ( rom what I observed)
Sadly it is a fact that RPG are going out of style. And a style of arcade type rpg such as Diablo is coming in. They are clinging to the RPG type but what they have is an arcade game not a role-playing game although it has some elements of it
And as the time progresses people realize that these are more fun to play because it''s not comlicated, no weird puzzles no getting stuck. There still are titles like baldurs gate, but we can''t form the opinion that rpg are in style based on a few single titles
Try comparing the titles we have now to what we had several years ago, we were OVERWHELMED by rpg titles in comparison to today. Think back to titles like Kings quest, Legend of Kyrandia(my favorite), space quest, police quest, even Eco Quest, and a whole LOT of titles that I can''t remember. Each of these had volumes from 1 to about 5 or 6 even 7. We can''t compare having 1 real RPG title released per year compared to 20 titles a year.

This of course does not mean that you should not make an RPG game, but yust says - yes they''re roling out and simulators RTS shoot em ups and diablo clones are "it" right now

#16 Spyder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2000 - 10:48 AM

There is a also a problem with commercial MMORPGs. Just think about it, if someone has payed they have the right to be a swine. If you really want a hardcore RPG game, where players really rollplay and dont walk around with silly names like ~Duck-912, then go freeware or something.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS