Racing Project Alpha R5 (Updated 2004-02-17)

Started by
270 comments, last by Lightstrike 20 years, 1 month ago
NOTE: As of release 6, Street Cars will have a new name which is not decided yet. Reason for the name change is that it gave the idea that it was a street racing game while we have tracks in many different landscape environments and probably not in cities at all. Current favourites are: Freelane Roadclub Comments and suggestions can be posted in this thread Welcome to our Racing Project official thread! Development time is over 2 years and we're heading closer to BETA. Download latest Alpha Release For more informtion and news updates, visit the Solid Core Homepage Enjoy! What we want feedback on: - If you like it at all - Crashes or weird behaviour: Include last five lines in _LogGame.log in your post. - Suggestions on improvement - Music and sounds - Framerate (Use Fraps) - Which computer you used and how it worked. Tell us these things: Processor speed Operating system Graphics card Minimum requirements (Will change for the better): -P3 500mhz or equivalent. Test please . -Windows 98 or later with DirectX 8.1. Tested on 98, XP and 2000. Should work on earlier platforms. Anyone run 95, ME? -Geforce 2 mx or better. Geforce 3 or better recommended at this stage. Will improve. -Directsound compatible soundcard. NOTE: Voodoo-based cards don't work well. If any model does it would be good to know FAQ answers: Developed using Visual C++ .Net and DirectX 8.1 sdk. Game, Engine and Tools code are approx. 40000 lines. Project was started january 2002 (Engine started from scratch). Developers: Solid Core Entertainment consisting of Benny Samuelsson and Ralf Öhlund from Sweden. [edited by - Lightstrike on February 17, 2004 5:48:32 AM]
Advertisement
hey,

it looks really cool from the screenshots (only why are there two cars inside each other in the last screenshot? ), and i''ll definitely give it a try on my desktop. right now i''m on my 233 mhz laptop with a non-3d-accelerated video card, and when i ran it, it crashed ("This program has peformed an illegal operation and needs to be closed.").

i''ll comment more on it after i play it.

---
shurcool
wwdev
Thanks for trying it out. I stated earlier that there are no collision handling. That explains the cars

A 233 mhz is probably a bit low to run it I''m afraid. The game generates logfiles. I would appreciate if you post the last lines in the loggame.log file. Thanks!
Well I really liked your game, its really clean and works well however I do have some comments that I''d like to share

1) First thought was why is my car moving so slow, it just seemed that the game was moving in slow motions

2) The cars can just go through each other, this could go either way some might think its a good thing because you don''t have to worry about going around other people but it also means that you can''t block people if they are going to pass you.

3) On the thrid track I had to do 3 laps cause I think I missed a part of the track I think there should be a bondry so you have to go though the check points or something on the track to show that you have hit the check point it would not be very good to think you r in the lead and then at the end of the lap you find out your a whole lap behind.

4) Another point for number 3 is that going on the grass doesn''t seem to slow you down at all so I thought why not cut accross and then I found that I couldn''t because I''d miss a check or something and I had to do the lap again

5) On the third track as well some of the computer controlled cars just stopped in one of the corners this allowed me to get second place even though I had to do 3 laps and that had to only do 2

6) When I pressed the exit button my computer rebooted, I was done playing the game but I wasn''t done using my computer

I have a Celeron 1.7gig, 512 mb ram, and 64mb Radeon video card running Windows 2000

I looks like alot of bad points but they are just little things that aren''t a huge problem the game is great overall and I''m really looking forward to seeing the finished product looks like it will be an awesome game..

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
The game's really cool for an alpha.

A few points, most of which you probably already know:

1. In Addition to identifying the checkpoints, as Turt here pointed out, it might be a good idea to not let the cars get off the track. (EDIT: I mean, off the visible area of the screen.) In Drag race, in particular, I was going full throttle on the finish straight, plus I kicked in the nitrous, so, I zoomed way off the map and had a hard time finding my car to get it back on track for the second lap. (That in addition to the fact that is is really not obvious at all how you can have two laps in dragrace, where finish is not connected to start. )

2. All the other things are probably on your todo list any way: have the AI cars use nitro (I feel like I am cheating when I kick it in )

3. Improve the AI driving. (They go off the track all the time. Maybe they don't break enough? Or break too much? I tried not improving my car at all and still I beat them all the time. The start straight I usually come to the end of last, by by the end of the first or second corner, I am back in the lead.)

4. I wouldn't say you need to speed things up a little bit, though, unlike Turt. I think if you improve the car a bit, it does get fast enough.

Otherwise, sweet game with a bunch of potential.

On a side note: what was that game, where you also had an overhead view of the field, and in addition to racing, you could like lay mines on the track, or spill oil, and such, to screw your opponents. Or put spikes on your car to blow them up. I forget what it was called, but it was a sweet li'l game. If anybody knows what I'm talking about, please enlighten me - I'd love to play it again one of these days.

EDIT: Clarification

[edited by - vovansim on September 2, 2003 8:52:31 PM]
Vovan
quote:Original post by vovansim
On a side note: what was that game, where you also had an overhead view of the field, and in addition to racing, you could like lay mines on the track, or spill oil, and such, to screw your opponents. Or put spikes on your car to blow them up. I forget what it was called, but it was a sweet li''l game. If anybody knows what I''m talking about, please enlighten me - I''d love to play it again one of these days.

Ah, I remember: Death Rally it was called. Oh man, was it a great game. I don''t know if you drew any inspiration from it, but check it out to see.

Vovan
the game you mention sounds like Supercars 2. I played it on the amiga and always considered re-writing it. Shame i''m not patient enough to learn directX!
Wow thanks a lot for your replies! First, yes, deathrally was a good inspiration but I always wanted to make my own game. I''ve collected ideas from various games, added my own ideas and put it all together.

The notes on the tracks I''m already aware of. I shouldn''t have included the drag track. It was just for testing purposes.

If you look a bit down at the first post I state what I know is missing. Collision handling and improved AI (using nitro) is two of the things.

Turt: That the game is moving slow is because you have a low framerate.. possibly because you use v-sync and windows switches to 60hz when you start a game, which limit it to 60 fps. Try to override the refreshrate. Also this wouldn''t have been a problem if I had time-based movement but it will be included later

I''m really sorry about the reboot, but I have no clue what caused it. If anyone else has the problem, please tell me.

Good you posted your specs. I''d appreciate if everyone did that. Also, use www.fraps.com to check your framerate in game.
Well I did give the game a try again with that fraps thing.. I was getting 24fps so that would be why its slow.. also this time when I quit it worked fine..

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
Thanks for the update Turt. Good it worked fine. Weird thing. I hope it doesn''t happen again. I have never heard of it before.

What graphics card do you have? What would be the nvidia equivalent in performance? (I''m more familiar with them even tho I have a Radeon 9500pro myself)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement