• Create Account

Copyright Question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Metus   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 01 July 2000 - 06:00 AM

Can i use a copyrighted creature, like the Aliens in my freeware game? And If i want the same game to be Commercial, who do I contact to get the rights (if possible) to use the Aliens? Sincerely Metus, from the Badlands of Sweden

Sponsor:

#2 STVOY   Members   -  Reputation: 156

Posted 01 July 2000 - 12:31 PM

Well Now,

It depwnds are you talking about Aliens
in general or from the Film.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!

#3 Obscure   Moderators   -  Reputation: 174

Posted 02 July 2000 - 01:12 PM

He is asking about copyrighted creatures (and using a capital A for Aliens) so it is the later.

Metus - The answer is a very definite NO you can’t. To do so it theft of copyright property and I am personally aware of at least one lawsuit where Fox sued because someone used Aliens (tm - all rights reserved) in a game. An artist just happened to like them so he included them.

As for who to talk to get the rights? You would need to talk to the person in charge of Licensing at Fox. However the cost would be exorbitant.

Dan Marchant
www.obscure.co.uk

#4 Tiso   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 July 2000 - 06:00 AM

It might take a little bit, but it would definitely be cheaper just to make your own aliens. What atributes do the aliens you like have? Make your aliens similar, but make it so everyone can tell the difference between your aliens and someone else''s.

Guardian Angel Interactive

#5 Jester101   Members   -  Reputation: 145

Posted 04 July 2000 - 08:11 PM

As far as I know the Aliens (TM ) EXCLUSIVE license for computer games is already sold to a major computer games company. This means not only FOX will sue you, but they too.
And Fox can''t give you the license (even if they would want to do it).

#6 Obscure   Moderators   -  Reputation: 174

Posted 06 July 2000 - 01:02 PM

Actually FOX have not sold the rights to Aliens, they have kept the rights. THEY are publishing the games themselves. The latest one is being developed by Monolith.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS