• Create Account

[java] Swig in Windows applications?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2000 - 06:23 AM

For those of you that use Forte for Java by Sun how did they get swig type buttons in a windows application did they make a port or what?

Sponsor:

#2 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 July 2000 - 03:18 PM

What?

#3 Lamtd   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 July 2000 - 03:59 PM

I''ve never seen Forte for Java running, but my guess is that you have only two choices:

1. The program was written in Java. Only you can tell. I think it''s quite unlikely, but who know ?

2. They are using a Swing-like look-and-feel. The Win32 API features that cool WS_OWNERDRAW message that lets you draw windows (that includes buttons) the way you want. They''ve probably used this, because I don''t see much point in porting the whole component.

So, how did you like my two cents ?
~Lamtd

#4 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 July 2000 - 05:24 PM

I doubt it is in java cause it doesnt run in a browser and its not dos prompt so i guess its number 2

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 02 July 2000 - 08:12 PM

java programs don''t have to run in browsers or DOS prompts

#6 Viking   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 July 2000 - 08:53 PM

I use Forte and it IS written in Java. I downloaded the .class file and installed it (JDK required, of course). I never tried it in Linux though, cause I don''t have enough memory to run it smoothly.

I run it in the default (SWING) L&F, so I can''t quite understand your question....

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 02 July 2000 - 08:53 PM

I use Forte and it IS written in Java. I downloaded the .class file and installed it (JDK required, of course). I never tried it in Linux though, cause I don''t have enough memory to run it smoothly.

I run it in the default (SWING) L&F, so I can''t quite understand your question....

#8 SteveMeister   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 02:49 AM

What is a "swig type button"?

Forte is definitely written in Java.

Archigamer, Java APPLETS run in web browsers, but Java APPLICATIONS run outside the browser. When you run Forte, you run a small batch file that runs the java application.

#9 ManaSink   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 03:31 AM

Forte *is* a Swing application written in Java, and a serious resource hog. If you don''t have at least 128M it will wear on your last nerve. I have 512M RAM in a 700Mhz box here at work, so little piggy Forte gets all the ram and CPU it wants... I do think it is an excellent IDE, and I use it (almost)exclusively. It is nice to be able to switch to a different OS and still code in the same IDE. I''ve also used the open API to make some *twisted* IDE extensions .

As for not in browser, no DOS prompt, check into javaw.exe. Look in your your task manager and you''ll see javaw in there. I''m sure Sun (well, NetBeans, I suppose) just calls javaw from the native executable. Under most circumstances, if you run java.exe, you''ll get a DOS prompt, and if you run javaw.exe you won''t. javaw.exe is good for production code delivered to customers, NT services, etc... java.exe is useful for old school println/readln programs and debugging your app when its dumping stack traces left and right(hopefully someone elses app, not your own ).

ManaSink

#10 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 03:45 AM

whoa! cool I didnt know that. Thanks guys.

#11 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 03:55 AM

I liked Developer X2 better. It was Forte before sun bought it and it wasn''t a resource hog. I could at least run it on my 333MHz machine. Forte? no way, it takes a year to boot. I didn''t know about that javaw.exe thing either.

#12 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 04:57 AM

I downloaded to see what it was like and I only had 48 mb of ram so it stopped responding often and it took forever to load a menu. (2 mins at least)

#13 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 04:58 AM

Oh yeah and Visual Age for Java is the best I think.

#14 ManaSink   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 06:49 AM

Forte is a pig, but it has it its good points. NetBeans definately did a good job with Developer X2, that''s why I got Forte to begin with.

Visual Age is the best I''ve used for visual composition with beans. I haven''t got my hands on an Enterprise edition of JBuilder though, so there might be better.

Glad I could help with the javaw thing.

ManaSink

#15 SteveMeister   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 10:04 AM

Forte runs even better if you''ve got a dual processor system. We''ve got dual PIII 450MHz and dual PIII 600MHz machines here at work, all with 256MB of RAM, and Forte runs just fine. I''ve heard of people with faster single CPU''s and the same amount of RAM having performance problems. But Forte definitely takes advantage of multiple CPU''s!

#16 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 July 2000 - 02:35 PM

So how do you make theses types of applications? do you just make a regular applet and run it in javaw.exe or is there a entirly different api?

#17 SteveMeister   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2000 - 03:43 AM

You don''t make an applet. What you do is you put a "main" method in one of the classes

public static void main(String args[])
{
}

then you run it using the "java" command. The args array are all the command line arguments that appear after the name of the program separated by spaces. So if you have a main method in the class MyClass.java you''d run it like this:

java MyClass

and anything you type after "MyClass" would appear in the args array. You can set up a .bat file (or a shell script in UNIX) to run it, which is usually the best thing to do.

You could also write a little Windows program to execute it, but when all is said & done you have to run it in a Java Virtual Machine (which is what the "java" command does).

#18 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2000 - 04:47 AM

Steve I don't think you read this entire post did you? I am talking about javaw.exe applications.

Edited by - ARCHIGAMER on July 5, 2000 11:47:46 AM

#19 SteveMeister   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2000 - 05:20 AM

I did, but I must have misunderstood what you were asking.

Forte, for example, is not a Windows application. There's a little executable that you can run, but all it does is start the jvm and run the Java application.

Edited by - SteveMeister on July 5, 2000 12:23:09 PM

#20 ARCHIGAMER   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2000 - 05:56 AM

accroding to manasink you can make windowed applications in javaw.exe what I am asking is how do yu make these type of windoed applications that aren''t command line or run in a broswer.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS