Need people for a new (MMORPG) project.

Started by
102 comments, last by LeprechauN 20 years, 6 months ago
Me and 2 other guys recently started brainstorming on a large project MMORPG. However, one of the guys has bailed out, due to overwhelming schoolwork. I''ll start with what we''ve got and what we(/I) need. What''s been put together so far: - Fairly complete/evolved game design. Incl. fighting/skills/... - Some basic AI for entities. (Still under development.) (Not much - we/I have just started it, and it''s on ice, until I find interested people.) What I need: - [C/C++] programmer for internet communications between game client and server client. - 3D and 2D Graphic Designer for modeling (+animation) and texturing. - 3D/2D graphic engine [C/C++] programmer. What I''ve got (members): - "LeprechauN" (me): Game Design/functions | AI | Some simple 3D modeling | Music/SFX. - "Alkonost": Internet communications. (I know I mentioned this, but I''m having truoble reaching this guy, so I''ll keep his "job" open for replacement. I call the production Team "Trailer in the ass Productions". I have no experience in C/C++ game development. I have (the past 10 years or so) been programming own games in QBasic, but have now moved up to C/C++. My main trait is my ideas and problem solving skills. (Not to forget my long experience (and education) with musci and sound.) And I do have great understanding of programmingm, even though I have yet not learned to handle graphic and audio programming within C/C++. This project is a large MMORPG project. (Don''t be frightened, I''m aiming to make this a casual projects. Let''s have some fun!) There''s no dealine. If we do make some money on this, we''ll share it equally, of course. But I have yet not had plans to charge people for this game. I hope to get sponsors, and I might have one, but he needs to see the game later on to make a judgement. So, there''s no money involved in this, yet. About the game: The game is thought to be a fantasy MMORPG in tile-based 3D. The scenery is a kind of fight between the two main Gods, which are trying to conquer as much as possible of a world which might be seen as their "chessboard". When a player makes a character, he/she will choose a God. that God will lend him/her some of his life-force and create him/her as a physical person in the world. Next, he will have to choose a place to put his house/home. This home can be altered by building more sections, such as storage rooms and library. The house is (if you''re smart enough) places together with other people''s houses. This makes it a village. You need food to stay alive. Even if you''re offline, you need to have a food-storage sufficient to keep you alive until you log in the next time. You can''t buy things that no player has created. Want a sword? First, you need metal, then you need to make the metal inte a sword. It''s all based on skills. The better "smith" you arem, the better swords you''ll make. Have you become a good smith? Start a weaponstore! Good at cooking/refining food? Sell it to the village, as well as passing travelers. There''s nothing stopping the village from turning into a full-blown town/city! More things can be built in the city. All you need is materials. A lot of more interesting ideas are thought out. This includes natural evolution! (But I will not explain this now. You''ll get the full idea if you join.) That main idea of the game play is that nothing (or as little as possible) is "set". Things do not have a value, except for what others are willing to pay for it. Same idea goes for everything in the game. The game policy is: - Let the player decide. Don''t put boundaries that aren''t actually NEEDED to make the game work. - Logic! The game should be as "real" as possible. (You can''t lift 1000kg, you can''t run 100mph, you can''t take as much damage as you can in most other games… and so on.) If you want to join, either reply it here, or by: leprechaun@post.com ICQ: 175360155 Looking forward to "working" with you! P.S. Tell me if I''ve left out some kind of info. D.S. / Molten old Rotten Angel Wing of LeprechauN: The Grandioso Grallatoris Royale of the Anti/Humans.
/ Molten old Rotten Angel Wing of LeprechauN: The Grandioso Grallatoris Royale of the Anti/Humans.
Advertisement
*SHOCK HORROR*

ANOTHER MMORPG!

I can''t wait!

PLZ TWO HELP!
omg, omg.

We are living in the same town about 500m away! yay!

[edited by - zoot on September 13, 2003 6:15:19 PM]
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
Another MMORPG about to fall at the first hurdle. Why are they such a popular project for someone new to C?

quote:-Let the player decide. Don''t put boundaries that aren''t actually NEEDED to make the game work.
- Logic! The game should be as "real" as possible. (You can''t lift 1000kg, you can''t run 100mph, you can''t take as much damage as you can in most other games... and so on.)

Don''t those contradict each other? If you stop people from doing those then you are placing boundaries that aren''t NEEDED to make the game work.
APE
Downgraded:

Do you mean "Pleased to help"?

Wanna join in?

/ Molten old Rotten Angel Wing of LeprechauN: The Grandioso Grallatoris Royale of the Anti/Humans.
Good luck with the project LeprechauN!

quote:Original post by LeprechauN
(You can''t lift 1000kg, you can''t run 100mph, you can''t take as much damage as you can in most other games... and so on.)

And you can''t realistically handle that kind of project right now.

Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
quote:Original post by Naku
Another MMORPG about to fall at the first hurdle. Why are they such a popular project for someone new to C?

quote:-Let the player decide. Don''t put boundaries that aren''t actually NEEDED to make the game work.
- Logic! The game should be as "real" as possible. (You can''t lift 1000kg, you can''t run 100mph, you can''t take as much damage as you can in most other games... and so on.)

Don''t those contradict each other? If you stop people from doing those then you are placing boundaries that aren''t NEEDED to make the game work.

Oh? No, if you take my exactly by the word, there wouldn''t be a game!

I mean, There aren''t supposed to be, for example, different "pre-sets" to choose from. You should be able to start a record company in the game, whithout there being a "record company"-button to click.

Villages can choose if they want to have a governing force. Do they want a king?

If they want to have a "police force", then they can, but the game itself does not have any kond of such concepts buil in to it.

Understand my point?

quote:Original post by Cahaan
quote:Original post by LeprechauN
(You can''t lift 1000kg, you can''t run 100mph, you can''t take as much damage as you can in most other games... and so on.)

And you can''t realistically handle that kind of project right now.

Hey, I''m just looking for some fun. The fact that it might be too big a project to handle won''t stop me.

It''s the journey that counts, not the goal.

Also, I DO have 10 years of programming behind me.
Please start out with a Tetris clone and save yourself pain and suffering .

C# gaming, the way of the future!
http://axiomengine.sourceforge.net
________________________________________________Chris McGuirkLead Programmer - Axiom 3D EngineC# gaming, the way of the future!http://www.axiom3d.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement