• Create Account

Best way to plan class design? (OOP)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Goatse   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 02 July 2000 - 08:07 PM

No I have to ask something real, not only talks about stats and stuff, sorry If I dropped you to ground, but some of us are really doing games(sarcasm). Do you guys know any good ways to plan class trees and their inheritance + interacting between each other. I asked this non-language specific, because I''m doing this in Java. Currently we have done it so that we thought all main classes and then started to create class diagrams. I know that UML is probably tool for this, but is there any other unwritten rules/easy ways to divide classes. We have some categories, depending on GUI and if the class is not doing anything visible. Time comes, time goes and I only am.

Sponsor:

#2 Dak Lozar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 06:29 AM

I think that UML, specificly the USE CASE DIAGRAMS are the best way to decide what classes you need and how these classes interact. From this, I can determine inheritences etc...

I think your on the right track with UML

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

#3 latrobe   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2000 - 04:43 PM

I also agree UML is the way to go for designing games (or other programs) in an OO language. Can anyone recommend a tool that is fairly good and yet free or inexpensive? I tried ArgoUML and while it is free, it is rather limited. Objecteering also has a free tool but I have not had time to try it.

#4 MikeD   Members   -  Reputation: 158

Posted 03 July 2000 - 11:35 PM

What does UML stand for?

I thought it was Universal Markup Language.

If it is I can''t find any references to it at the design resources here.

Mike

#5 Mr_Black   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 03 July 2000 - 11:52 PM

UML stands for Universal Modeling(sp?) Language.

#6 MikeD   Members   -  Reputation: 158

Posted 04 July 2000 - 12:09 AM

No useful references in the resources here for that either.

Anyone got a URL?

Mike

#7 Mr_Black   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 04 July 2000 - 01:02 AM

A good introductory text for UML is:

UML Distilled: Applying the Standard Object Modeling Language
by Martin Fowler and Kendall Scott

ISBN: 0-201-32563-2

RRP: $29.99

#8 latrobe   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 July 2000 - 04:31 PM

Any search engine such as Metacrawler will bring up lots of sites dedicated to UML...here is a site that has lots of FAQ''s, articles, etc:

http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_uml.html

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS