• Create Account

[java] Help!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wrathnut   Members   -  Reputation: 377

Posted 06 July 2000 - 03:58 AM

Does anyone have any idea what this means? java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: vcafe -netscape error=2 War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Sponsor:

#2 ManaSink   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 July 2000 - 07:38 AM

Hey, you posted this back on the 15th of June! You must be really hurting if you been looking at this exception for almost a month...

This looks like a thrown exception in an applet running under Netscape, correct?

Are you trying to use Runtime.exec() in your applet? Without knowing what your applet does I can only speculate. Some basic error logging in your classes might help to track this down.

ManaSink

#3 Wrathnut   Members   -  Reputation: 377

Posted 06 July 2000 - 08:31 AM

Actually Manasink It's such an intermittent error that it's been a month since I've run up against it But yes my applet implements runnable interface. And yes it's thrown in netscape not IE though.. In IE it works every time. Infact I've noticed that if I have get the error during a Netscape session and I cose netscape and run IE, Then open netscape back up it works perfectly. Otherwise the error will persist for days until I restart the machine.

It's really kind of wierd. Basically the applet is a vertically scrolling message window. What happens when this error gets thrown is the applet window doesn't initialize. The error isn't bad enough for it to show up in the console unless you break into the debugging mode.

Normally if it is a fatal exception of some sort you don't need to break into debugging mode to see it. And yes I've tried error logging all of my sub classes, all to no avail

An example of the applet can be found at:
http://207.109.196.246/safetyzone It make take a minute or 2 for the page to load depending on your connection speed and when you hit it. Our server is on a shared T1 right now. Any input would be more than appreciated.. Hehe this error is driving me NUTZ!

War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Edited by - Wrathnut on July 6, 2000 3:39:35 PM

#4 ManaSink   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 July 2000 - 10:57 AM

Uhm...

Implementing the Runnable interface is fine. Trying to use java.lang.Runtime.exec() to execute binary code in an applet is not. I was hoping it was your code calling it, because that would be that. Not so.

From the stack trace it looks like the exception is being thown *before* your code is even touched, in the Netscape debugger code. Runtime.exec() throws an exception when it is reading a file it is supposed to execute(like a dll or an exe) and encounters a problem. If the VM is throwing this, you are SOL, there is either a bug in the VM, a bug in Netscape, or something seriously wrong with your install (that it works in IE makes this even more plausible). I can''t see how this exception has anything to do with your code. That should actually make you feel better.

What version of Netscape?

ManaSink

#5 Wrathnut   Members   -  Reputation: 377

Posted 08 July 2000 - 03:19 AM

Cool, that does make me feel better. I''m using netscape version 4.7

Thanks for you help, this was driving me crazy for the longest time.

War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS