what's the best cheap graphics card?

Started by
43 comments, last by gurgyfruut 20 years, 5 months ago
hey i''m going to build a computer and i''ve not got a lot of $, so i was wondering what you guys think is the best graphics card for between $50-$150 (preferrably around $100). i''ll be upgrading from an ati rage fury 128 thanks!
Advertisement
I saw an ATI radeon 9700 for 130. Thats a good card. Just look for sales and junk. Also, check out www.tigerdirect.com. You want alot of ram and pixelshaders.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Hmmm I dont think you will be finding a 9700 for 130 bucks.
You can get a geforce t1 4200 for 75 bucks and over clock it to be as fast as a 4400 or even 4600.

At that price range I wouldnt worry about geting a dx9 capatible card because you will be running at 2 fps in stuff requiring it

If you want to spend over a 100 there is a 9600 for 110 bucks, It''s a pretty good card.
Well you could get an FX5200 Ultra... *laugh*
Sometimes, you can find good deals on www.newegg.com in the refurbished section of video cards. The deals come and go fast, so you would have to check it at least daily.
Syntax without semantics is meaningless.
ati radeon 9800 pro

but I guess its out of your budget

best performance to value is the ATi 9600 pro. Maybe the 9600XT now.

The ATi 9600 non pro is cheaper and still a good card, compared to the NVIDIA dustbuster cheatenator "ForceWare" offerings.

Whatever you do, don''t get the nvidia FX series cards, generation 4 was good and the Ti4200 is/was good value for price.

I would recommend the ATi 9600. You can also look into the 9200 (I think it might have also been a dx9 gen card, might be wrong though).
Any FX card is good, i would get the FX5950, but that's probably not in your budget(but it does kick ATI cards in the nut's when running openGL).
i got my FX5600 for around 150$ and im pretty shure they are cheaper now.

Don't get ATI, their drivers are.. um... sucky.
Besides they cheat way to much, just read the last FX5950 review at tomshardware.
In some test's (aquamark in particular) they basicly disqualified the ATI cards because the drivercheats where way to apparent.
So for once nvidia comes out on top when it comes to visual quality.

[edited by - lc_overlord on October 25, 2003 7:45:01 AM]
"Don''t get ATI, their drivers are.. um... sucky."

Not in the past year and 1/2. They have really turned it around.

lc_overlord, go back and read that artical again. It''s Nvidia who is making the faulty drivers that cheat.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030918/aquamark-08.html

I used to like Nvidia a lot, now they have fizzled. The FX series was a huge disapointment. Nvidia is now the company making faulty driver.

The TI''s are still great cards for their value. But If your going to spend the big bucks go ATI.
quote:lc_overlord, go back and read that artical again. It''s Nvidia who is making the faulty drivers that cheat.

stop being lame, i dont want to start a flamewar, but have you ever seen nvidia doing FSAA not FS etc? and do you know, that ati is cheating with precisions? No? i dont think you know so, otherwhise you wouldnt post such an statement.

back on-topic, he could actually find a high-end gfx card somewhere for low... just ask some friends etc if they have one and dont need it, and check out some real-prices so your ''friends'' dont fool you.

T2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement