Player Collisions

Started by
1 comment, last by a2k 23 years, 9 months ago
how do you deal with collisions, when two players over a network collide, supposing that each client calculates the collision. i''m thinking that if one client collides, it sends collision info of the other object across the network, so that the immediate position/orientation can be changed. does this sound reasonable, or is there a better solution out there, and where might i find such information if it so exists? a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Advertisement
the easiest way is probably to have each client deal with its own collision separately. if it is properly debugged, both clients should detect the collision and can handle their response separately.
I hope that''s what you''re asking

*** Sir Reidonius The Red ***
It depends upon your networking archiecture, whether your using a peer to peer or server client or a hybrid of both. Peer to peer run in lockstep and so the entire simulation doesnt step unless an acknowldegement is recived from all the other peers, and thus each indivuial can do their own collision as they are guarrented that the other peers have exactly the same data they do. In a server client model, the server usually handles most or all the collisions to prevent possible cheating and it makes synchonization of the clients easier. However some implmeentations do have player to static collsiion on the client side, but that collision isnt transmitted to the other clients its only done to prevent inconsistancies like going through walls if you drop a move packet from the server or something. If your not to worried about consistancy between clients then you can do the full collsiion checks on the client side too, though some games suffer from the invunerablity syndrome, where you fire and hit an individual with all your bullets but they just wont die, because either you''re lagging or they are badly.

Good Luck

-ddn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement