• Create Account

9 months

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Card   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2000 - 12:49 PM

For the last 9 months I have worked day in and day out, every hour of every day (well not every hour) on my 3rd person shooter. Finally, I come up with somehting and nobody likes it. Why does this happen to me? Some kid looked at the screenshot and said "Why did you forget to put teletubbies in there?" TELETUBBIES! Somebody shoot me! Then I got kicked out of the chat room for, well, I guess having the worst "screenshot" ever made. I just want you all who hated my screenshot to realize how much money I spent: Game Design Kit 4.0: $60 Borland C++: $50 Play Amorphium: $250 World Construction Set 5.0: $557 Borland C++ for Dummies: $40 Idiot''s Guide to C++: $30 Total: $987 ''lotta money no? Just for one game. Just so I could start my company with a *bang*. Instead, I start it with a *flop*. Now I''ll have to start over. 9 months down the drain. Good bye my chances of making some money! Good bye house. Good bye cars! Hello poverty! If anyone can help, give me a suggestion, or if you are in the Newton, MA area, please reply. PS:YOU CLOSE THIS TOPIC AND YOU WILL DIE! Well, not die, but I''ll be really mad. Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these. Magic Card of DanAvision Software Entertainment, FOREVER!!! http://danavision.homestead.com Prepare to be blown away! ------------------------- Magic Card

Sponsor:

#2 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 17 July 2000 - 03:00 PM

1. Don''t whine in public...it''s unsightly...

2. One bad review by another relatively "newbie" developer does not a bad game make. If that''s the only feedback you have, and you''re throwing in the towel, consider a different career. This one isn''t for you.

3. A completed project, even a completed *un-published* (and probably *un-publishable*) project, still beats an uncompleted project. And a cash outlay of only $1K US isn''t exactly that big of a deal in the long run. Most hobbies chew up more cash than that in 9 months, and they''re not expected to be profitable. Take what you learned from the project and do better next time. Most of those expenses won''t need to be repeated in your next project.

4. The world is a big place. Float the game as shareware anyway and you''ll probably sell a few copies, or at least get some usable feedback. There are a lot of niches in the Internet. You don''t have to sell to everyone to make a living.

5. How much of a *bang* did you expect to make with your first project anyway? If you''re buying an "Idiot''s Guide..." as a supply for the project, you''re not in much position to make a *bang*. To make progress, yes; to learn skills for the future, yes; to impress your friends and family, maybe; but to make a *bang*? I''m not sure "No" adequately conveys the meaning I want...but I''ll settle for it: No. Unrealistic expectations kill quite a few projects every year.

Good luck!

DavidRM
Samu Games

#3 SpaceCowboy851   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 17 July 2000 - 03:18 PM

If this is really your first game, then don''t be shocked that it "sucks". One developer I read about said to hurry up and make 10 games, because your first 10 games will suck. Even if it wasn''t your first game, but your first 3rd person shooter, you still gotta expect to make some mistakes. And last, if the art sucks, so what, if the gameplay is there, then that''s all that matters. Now if the gameplay isn''t there, then maybe you didn''t spend enough time in the design phase.

Oh, and I guess this is really lastly, if you built a complete game in 9 months with no help (art, music, programming, design) then give yourself a break! The day of the single developer are over and you''ve probably been working a lot harder than necessary, but learned a lot along the way.

Ut

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 17 July 2000 - 03:18 PM

Ummm what did how much money you spent have to do with the screenshot you made? And so as not to kick a fellow coder when he''s down look on the brightside;

If you did indeed complete a game then you have a framework in place for your next one. You can pat yourself on the back for finishing. Also there is hardly a need to start over, nor is 9 months "down the drain" unless your code isn''t modular.

But you know this. So lick your wounds. Take what''s constructive from the critique''s you were rendered. This swift kick in the ass and get busy on making people drool over the title you just made. Or on a new one.

S.C.

#5 derekz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2000 - 03:52 PM

That web site is hilarious, as was your post. Thanks.

Oddly, the screen shot would be better with teletubbies. Listen to the fans.

#6 baskuenen   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2000 - 04:12 PM

It all is looking very good My compliments!
At your age, I wasn''t doing that good. If you go on with this - you must - you will become a big one!

Don''t let people get you down. They are probably just jealous. There are some good people with constructive critisism. Take it as a challenge, and prove them wrong

Good luck with your next projects,
- Bas

#7 baskuenen   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2000 - 04:18 PM

Oh, and another thing:
9 months is the time to make a baby
- Why not let it grow up, and learn it some things...

#8 Cloxs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2000 - 04:46 PM

You remind me of an Eminem song....Stan....Why are you so angry? If you wanted to start your company out with a bang, there your bang is...your starting a company with an already complete 3D game, it just needs to get some better graphics. It looks kind of like Duke Nuke ''Em: Zero Hour, but with worse graphics....so what is it that the critics are looking at - definitely not gameplay. What they do is take a first glance, judging it by it''s graphics....kind of like judging a book by a cover, so to finish, don''t get upset over it, just look at it, decide what''s wrong, and fix it.

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 17 July 2000 - 05:58 PM

hey Magic Card,

What do you want to hear? Do you want people to lie to you or tell you the
truth what they think? I would rather hear people tell me that my game sucked
so I can improve what they didn''t like. I WANT people to tell me what is wrong
with my game. A lot of people who start out have very high and unrealistic
goals. The fact is, 9 months is too short, $1k is peanuts, and those items you
listed are utter crap. If you started out cold, you have to keep doing this
for at least 2 YEARS straight and create a couple of games before you see any
good results. And from the sound of your post, you still seem a bit clueless
about what is going on. Grow up a little first.

#10 Jester101   Members   -  Reputation: 145

Posted 17 July 2000 - 08:19 PM

Look Ace!

Do you really want me to count what I spend for the first product of my company? Well it was about 5000$-10.000$ and *flop*.
Quite normal. Programming to SELL something is much more difficult than programming for yourself. Yes after the flop mentioned above I needed one year to get enough motivation to make the next game. But I can tell you, this second game ROCKS, because I was able to use all the experience I made with the first product.
Oh, and I would never use Borland C++.

Jesters Golden Rules No. 1:
Stick to the public WHILE you are producing your game. Show them Screenshots and your ideas BEFORE you make the game. If you get bad feedback change the concept until you get good feedback.

I''ll post the rest of the Jesters Rules soon.

#11 Magic Card   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 July 2000 - 09:29 AM

Thanks guys. Your comments really cheered me up!

Also, the game''s not done yet. It''s still in its beginning stages. I could really use the help though, if anyone wishes to offer it. I mostly need a mortorcycle...

Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.
Magic Card of DanAvision Software Entertainment, FOREVER!!!
http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card

#12 Chris Hargrove   Members   -  Reputation: 256

Posted 18 July 2000 - 11:40 AM

Magic Card,

Be proud that you have made something in 9 months, and that you are learning along the way. That is good, and it''s what really matters at this point.

However, do not start gloating over your work, especially if you''re the only person who thinks along those lines.

quote:

quote:
Prepare to be blown away!

I would seriously consider toning statements like this down. If you are responding badly to criticism, justifying any flaws based on the money you spent (which, as others have mentioned, is peanuts), and then asserting that your game is better than top quality commercial games that have sold hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of copies, then there are personal issues you need to resolve.

If I were you, I would change to a perspective of doing what you''re doing to learn and improve, rather than "blow everyone away" on an effort built primarily from game construction kits. If you blow off criticism now, you will find people unwilling to give you criticism later (and people need that criticism). You will also be flagged by some people as an "ignorant newbie" and make several enemies. Enemies are *not* what you want in an industry as tight as this.

Calm down, and look at your work objectively instead of subjectively. You''ll be better off.

#13 Buster   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 18 July 2000 - 11:52 AM

Are you on crack?

$1000 is nothing. Consider it money well spent because you''re doing something fun, programming games.

Besides, did your game suck? For $1000 and 9 months I have a pretty good guess for that one.

#14 Facehat   Members   -  Reputation: 696

Posted 20 July 2000 - 05:09 AM

quote:

For the last 9 months I have worked day in and day out, every hour of every day (well not every hour) on my 3rd person shooter. Finally, I come up with somehting and nobody likes it. Why does this happen to me? Some kid looked at the screenshot and said "Why did you forget to put teletubbies in there?" TELETUBBIES! Somebody shoot me! Then I got kicked out of the chat room for, well, I guess having the worst "screenshot" ever made. I just want you all who hated my screenshot to realize how much money I spent:

Your talking about your Gamma Hunter game, right? I seem to remember that the "screenshot" you were showing off wasn''t even that. It was concept art! And it was one of the ugliest pre-rendered "screenshots" I''ve ever seen.

A few hints:
- Don''t over-hype your game.
- Don''t hype your game when you don''t have anything to show.
- Don''t private message people with crap like "Just stop making fun of me!" (which I didn''t do). And: "Wait till you see the trailer!".
- Don''t lie about the time/effort you''ve spent on something. I''d be surprised if you spent 10 minutes on that game. How the hell do you spend 9 months making one "screenshot" which isn''t even part of the game, but rather something you put togetther in Paint? Are you counting the amount of time it took you to learn MSPaint?

quote:

Good bye house. Good bye cars! Hello poverty!

You''re 13. I don''t think you need to support yourself.

quote:

Magic Card of DanAvision Software Entertainment, FOREVER!!!

Prove it.

#15 Treize   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2000 - 07:46 PM

You should be glad you were able to start and finish a game. I usually end up starting adding adding and adding until i toss the originsl idea and make a new one. And if you learned c++ and game programming and made a game in 9 months thats a succes in its own! :D

Well well this is my sig
` Treize Khushrenada,
Come one, Come All join the SpaceBattles Alliance: http://sballiance.3dworlds.org/

#16 JeremyS   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2000 - 10:27 AM

Well here's his game folks:

Edited by - JeremyS on July 22, 2000 5:28:25 PM

#17 Magic Card   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 July 2000 - 02:25 AM

WHY THE HELL DID YOU POST THAT! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! IT SUCKS! NOW NOBODY... absolutely NOBODY IS GOING TO WANT TO BUY IT! JUST FROM THAT ONE SCREENSHOT! FOR GOD SAKES THEY LOOK LIKE THEY''RE FLYING! ASK MY PERMISSION FIRST NEXT TIME! Sheesh!

Street Gang soon...
Gamma Hunter later...
DanAvision FOREVER!
-----------------------
This message posted by: Magic Card

#18 granat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 July 2000 - 02:45 AM

HA HA HA HA !!!

Very funny....

-- There IS something rotten in the state of Denmark --

#19 Facehat   Members   -  Reputation: 696

Posted 23 July 2000 - 04:25 AM

Gee, weren''t you just hyping that same screenshot a couple of days ago?

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.

#20 SonicSilcion   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 July 2000 - 05:15 AM

Actually, it''s not that bad of a mock-up screenshot. I had to make a few ''screenshots'' up last year for my typography/layout calss.

It was the final project and we were to make a box for a piece of software. So, I, with my one-track mind, decided to use one of my recent game ideas. Thus I needed to whip up a few pictures. I did the first in Poser 3, backdrop in trueSpace, and compositing and special fx in Photoshop. It looked okay, but posing in Poser is not anything natural to me. So I did the second entirely in trueSpace, making a model and eveything else. In the end, I handed in a day late after I had stayed up for 40 hours straight {thankfully, it gets better after 1 A.M.} The result: a single figure on a undetailed plane.

My point is, you''ve at least thought of some of your details for the game already. There''s a lot to be learned from doing mock-ups, and not just art. You''ll be learning user interface, too.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS