Moderator nominations

Started by
86 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 20 years, 3 months ago
As I'm sure you're all aware, due to personal reasons, Yann stepped down as the graphics forum moderator, and it's finally time for us to attempt to find a replacement for him (a daunting task, to say the least). Yann has given me a few suggestions which I am considering, but I wanted to also ask the forum regulars for nominations, to ensure that I don't overlook anyone. So if there's someone you think would fit the role, please post here or contact me directly via email. Please state why you think they would make a good moderator. Don't hesitate to nominate yourself, if you honestly feel that you're the best person for the job. Btw, we've already asked S1CA, but he doesn't have the time for it (not to mention the fact that it seems that he's stopped visiting the forums, due to a few unappreciative members).
Advertisement
Yann''s not going anywhere is he? i hope he remains a member
at least, and to S1CA, i really appreciate your valuable input
to these forums, please dont leave because of a few stray dogs.

i nominate ... um ... i dont think anyone can replace Yann..
sorry
Danushka | Irix
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Yann''s gone from the forums entirely. See this for details.
Pick me pick me!

I think _DarkWing_ would be a good moderator and he's got good knowledge of Graphics programming (well those screenshots amazed me).

Also ApochPiQ would do a great job.

[ My Site ] [A link to gamedev] [A Link to google] [A link to nowhere] [ /*ilici*/ ]

[edited by - Ilici on December 29, 2003 7:41:08 AM]
I think daveperman, and indeed ApochPiQ and DarkWing are great graphics programmers. I don''t know if they want to be a moderator, but I''ll nominate them.

Too bad S1CA is gone too. He used to be very helpful.

My Site
i would be also in for SC1A; unfortunately he isn''t available.

then...i would support daveperman''s election, too; i know him from other boards, and i think he would be in the situation to fill this position very good.

antoher person maybe jamessharpe, but i''m not sure if he can spend the time.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
I agree with everyone that losing S1CA is a terrible loss. He posted long, detailed, helpful responses. While Yann was a mentor to those looking for photorealism, S1CA was a mentor to the newbie. Having people around to help both the new and seasoned programmers was great for the community.

As for nominations, this could be an opportunity for some corporate customer relations people to make a serious investment into the community. We occasionally seem Herb M, from Microsoft around the DX board, and in the Theory forum we've seen SimmerD (which I beleive is Sim Dietrich of nVidia). Both of these guys should be able to provide in depth help, as well as general moderation... and possibly get paid at the same time. We benefit directly from their involvement. We benefit indirectly because our concerns will be brought to the attention of the DX team. Additional, if they do it as part of their job, not just something to do on the side, their company benefits from being known to help all the little guys in the community.

I'm not ruling out long time helpful GameDev members. I just have no idea who among us to nominate.

[edited by - namethatnobodyelsetook on December 29, 2003 10:29:27 AM]
me - I''m not 21 or younger like alot of other users at this board

That goes for probably 2/3rds of us, but I said it first.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
I don''t have any particular nominees in mind, but since my name has come up, I think it would be best to make sure everyone knows where I stand.

The last time I really dug deep into rasterizer rendering and all the accompanying theory was over 4 years ago. A huge amount has changed in that time, and I''ve hardly kept up with it all. As a result I don''t think I''m personally very qualified to moderate a forum dealing almost entirely with a subject I know very little about

However, raytracing and similar rendering methods are something I have spent time studying. If our Freon 2/7 project is anywhere near as successful as I hope, I''m sure it will be a great opportunity for the kind of corporate/developer relations that have been mentioned.

The bottom line is I''m preemptively turning down any position in this particular forum. However, if the Greater Deities of Forum Creation deem it feasible to open a raytracing forum, I''d be willing to moderate there, as I''d probably spend half my waking hours there anyways

PiQ Software - Tiny KeyCounter - Freon 2/7 Raytracing Accelerator

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

My vote to daveperman too.

Y.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement