• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Crytek Raided for Software Piracy

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:34 AM

From GameSpy Daily:
quote:
Crytek Raided for Piracy Software German police forces performed a raid on the Coburg, Germany offices of Crytek according to Holger Will, an employee of a radio station located in the same building, who contacted GameSpy. Will''s report and those of German news sites indicate a former employee of Crytek, developers of the upcoming first-person shooter FarCry to be published by Ubisoft, hinted that the development house was using piracy software to create its games. Computer experts who took part in the raid report the damage caused by the raid, in which some 150 policemen reportedly participated, goes into the six-digits range. Neither Crytek nor Ubisoft has commented on raid and how it will affect the development process of FarCry.
(gotta love the title - someone at Gamespy needs their eyes testing)

Sponsor:

#2 joanusdmentia   Members   -  Reputation: 1060

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:44 AM

I really hope that the accusations turn out to be false. I find it hard to believe that someone working on such a high profile game would use pirated software to develop it.

First Half-Life 2 and now FarCry, what''s the bet Doom3 will be the next to take a massive hit like this.

#3 Crispy   Members   -  Reputation: 556

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:47 AM

I don''t know what to say. If they were using pirated software, shame on them - they, as a company, should be able to afford it. If it turns out to be false, this is just a fiasko, which potentially serves no other purpose than to hype the game.

"Finishing in second place, simply means you are the first loser." - PouyaCat

#4 joanusdmentia   Members   -  Reputation: 1060

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:52 AM

Just like HL2 got hyped and is now going to be how many months late?

I can see this only doing damage.

#5 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:01 AM

quote:
Original post by joanusdmentia
First Half-Life 2 and now FarCry, what''s the bet Doom3 will be the next to take a massive hit like this.
Well, Halo 2 has already been pushed back to April. And don''t forget, Doom3 already took a ''hit'' (though perhaps not quite such a substantial one) in the form of the leaked Alpha.

I don''t think they''d do a raid unless they had some pretty good evidence to pack them up - like a former employee turned informant or something. So IMO the odds of them being innocent are not good...

Besides, read the story. 100,000 euros worth of ''damage,'' minimum - while ''damage'' is ambiguous, I don''t think there talking about damage done to the company''s machines. I think they''re talking about how much software they''re going to have to pay for.

#6 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10038

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:11 AM

It''s a shame, too, if it''s true. FarCry looks to be a pretty decent game, but I''d have a hard time justifying to myself buying a copy now, if they are in fact pirates. If it is true, then I wouldn''t lump it into the same sort of category as HL2 or the leaked Doom alpha; this is a hit Crytek brings on themselves, rather than an act of victimization.

Golem

Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller

#7 MDI   Members   -  Reputation: 266

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:12 AM

Wouldn''t this make the Cryo engine and the FC demo illegal software too?

#8 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:21 AM

quote:
Original post by MDI
Wouldn''t this make the Cryo engine and the FC demo illegal software too?

Possibly. It depends on just what software was pirated.

I dunno... if they pay for all the software (and then some, probably), then I''d be more likely to consider buying it. Though I''m not sure that they''d be legally able to release it anyway.

#9 Monder   Members   -  Reputation: 993

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:26 AM

I would imagine that if they are using pirated software, they''d have to pay a large fine and then would have to purchase legal software to continue development.

It would be a pity if Far Cry goes under because of this. It looked rather promising from the demo.

#10 curtmax_0   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:31 AM

I would be very suprised if a large company was using pirated software.

I also think that FarCry is way overhyped.. I downloaded the demo, set all the settings to high and:

1. For some reason, there are strange artifacts using both of my computers (both have r9700pro cards)

2. The graphics kinda sucked.. (Ooohhh!! cool looking water).

3. I think I heard something on the site about good AI? I certainly did not notice it, even with the difficulty set all the way up. The enemy would just run around in strait lines, or try to hide behind a tree (except that half of their body was not behind the tree)

4. Whats with all these ''jungle'' games....

5. The only cool thing about the game was, I could crush myself with barrels rolling down a stairway.. WAY fun.

#11 mittens   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1323

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:37 AM

Don''t give into the conspiracy, the CryTek team is just trying to be like Valve so they can delay their game because their developers are serving a life sentence. Pffft, real men serve TWO life sentences!

Trent Polack
www.polycat.net
The Best Blog in the Universe
trent@polycat.net
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming

#12 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2252

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:39 AM

I feel sorry for the person who claimed they were developing a game and then posted screenshots of Far Cry. Piracy2.

#13 Extrarius   Members   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:52 AM

quote:
Original post by mittens
[...]the CryTek team is just trying to be like Valve[...]
SJGames(CyberPunk Raid) did it first =-P

If it is true (which seems much more likely in this case than the SJGames one), it will make Crytek look bad and Ubisoft looks worse(the bad publicity related to copy protection recently and this don''t mix well except as a joke).

#14 CWizard   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:32 AM

quote:
Original post by superpig
quote:
Crytek Raided for Piracy Software
using piracy software to create its games.

How do you create games with Kazaa or whatever could be considered "piracy software"?

#15 Plasmadog   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:54 AM

quote:
Original post by CWizard
quote:
Original post by superpig
quote:
Crytek Raided for Piracy Software
using piracy software to create its games.

How do you create games with Kazaa or whatever could be considered "piracy software"?

By downloading the HL2 source?

#16 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:04 PM

I hope this is a misunderstanding but if they are using pirated software to write their games they definitely should be able to afford it!

I really have no pity for people who pirate software.

Resist everyone
I am your only friend. Click here for more information.
Penguin Ninja!

#17 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1693

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:10 PM

Please recall that something as simple as having a few out of dozens of copies of a product could be broadly classified as piracy. I''d wait for details before making any real comments.

#18 yspotua   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:35 PM

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Please recall that something as simple as having a few out of dozens of copies of a product could be broadly classified as piracy. I''d wait for details before making any real comments.

Exactly. Let the story develop, I mean the informant was a former employee, a highly suspect source of information.

While I don''t rule piracy out, their is a big difference in having installed an extra copy of Max versus, almost all of the software being pirated.

#19 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2545

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:00 PM

I concluded it''s the work of idSoftware to remove competitions.

But anyway, why would you send 150 policemen to a game company that only has computers? It is not that they use firearms to make games. Why not send.....a lawyer!? Gee germans...

#20 haro   Members   -  Reputation: 502

Posted 04 February 2004 - 07:13 PM

If anything, I doubt Crytek would be pirating stuff such as 3DS/Maya/Etc.. Those can be considered pocket change when considered against middleware development utilities such as renderware. Add development licenses and a company is looking at $100,000+ just for one piece of software.

My completely hypothetical scenario might be that Ubisoft allocated the company ''x'' dollars for licenses to standard development software such as renderware. Crytek decided to allocate the funds ''elsewhere''.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS