About EverQuest

Started by
15 comments, last by Arkon 23 years, 8 months ago
I was wondering how the heck this great game, EQ, works so damn FAST???? well if you know the game...then do you think when you enter a new map(when it loads the map) then you move to a new server too? hmmm :p hope you know how it works!
Advertisement
no u stay on the same server but it loads in zones which are portions of a really huge map now asherions call uses a seemless map which used dynamically load balancing servers and in that game u do move from one server to the other to make a seemless world which i think is the better way to go
Hi

i bought EQ without realizing it is a subscription game, is it worth signing up for it? or is there a trial period that allows me to TRY the game without signing up for it.

K
Beware signing up. Once you start playing you will wastea good portion of your life.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
yeah a good portion of your life.
i think it''s 30 days free when you sign up. it will automatically start billing you if you do''nt cancel though. do yourself a favor and don''t start, that''s all you''ll do. i wasted so much time on there.

i have a couple friends that play religiously daily still and it''s closing on a year and a half for them.

other than that it''s pretty fun heh

-werdup-
-werdup-
i was EQ -addicted for 1 year :-)

as far as people told me ... every zone is running on its own almost separated from each other ...
quote:Original post by omegasyphon

asherions call uses a seemless map which used dynamically load balancing servers and in that game u do move from one server to the other to make a seemless world which i think is the better way to go

Then what happens if one of the servers crash?

- Martin
That last post was from me.

- Martin
I have a few addicted friends, the do about 300 hours a month.

As for the maps I do recall them say that some admins were ''shutting down'' a zone for updates to take effect. If I were to develop somehting like this I''d have each server process run a zone(map) and allow zones in close proximity to run on the same machine.

The quick loading however should be nothing to do with the server, most loading in games is disk access on the clinet. You can solve this by precaching the levels. In a true open environment you''d just cache the eight squares around you. In EQ the map structure isn''t continuous, from a certain zone you can only link up with a certain number of other abutting zones. THis lowers the number of precached zones you have to keep in memory.

If the levels are bit you could just preload when a person approaches the boundries. To do this a lower priority thread might work well to hid the loading effect from the user.

gimp
Chris Brodie
well i would think that asherons call has redundant servers so that if that server crashes it has a back up server for that area but there is an article i read from either stomped or bluesnews that explained how it works and all that stuff

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement