DDraw: reading in 16-bit bitmaps

Started by
7 comments, last by Quantum 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi i got the book ''Windows Game Programming for Dummies'' a while ago, and am doing stuff with bitmaps.. loading them in etc well the author of WGPFD mainly uses 8bit colour in the book, and he gives some code to load in a 16bit bitmap, but it screws up all the colours, and he doesn''t explain how to use the blitter propley with them so could someone please explain and post an example of loading in a 16bit .bmp, and displaying it using the blitter? thx a heap
Advertisement
Yep, I had that same problem years ago.

There''s a problem with his Load_Bitmap_File function (or whatever it''s called) in one of the library source files.

The problem is that there''s no such thing as a 16-bit BMP file, he just loads a 24-bit true colour one, and converts it. The problem is his macro to convert true colour to 16-bit. I think it''s something to do with the scaling, and sometimes he uses ''&'' symbols in the macro when he means ''%'' or vice versa.

Compare all the code examples, and then mail him to complain that he should check his own code. In fact, the CD I got with Trick of the Win Game Proggging Gurus was semi-corrupted (that book''s basically the same as WGPD) and it took the publishers over 4 months to send me a replacement.

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
oh... well at least it isn''t me

could anyone post some working code for this type of thing?
or are there some tutorials somewhere on this type of thing... ill go check on gd homepage now..
Hi Quantum!
I've also read WGPFD and i had the same problem with the bitmap loading code. So i made my own, but I used GDI to load it. If you got any questions or so, ask!

void LoadBitmap(IDirectDrawSurface ** lpdds, LPCTSTR szbitmap, int width, int height, int destx, int desty) {		HDC surfaceHDC = NULL;  // Handle to the DC the surface uses	HDC imageHDC = NULL; // Handle to the DC the image uses	HBITMAP hbitmap; //Handle			//Load in bitmap and get a handle to it	hbitmap = (HBITMAP)LoadImage(NULL, szbitmap, IMAGE_BITMAP, width, height, LR_LOADFROMFILE | LR_CREATEDIBSECTION);		//Create a DC that the image will use, GDI function	imageHDC = CreateCompatibleDC(NULL);		//This function puts the bitmap in the DC, its a GDI function	SelectObject(imageHDC, hbitmap);		//Lock the surface and get the DC	(*lpdds)->GetDC(&surfaceHDC);	if(ddtestval == DD_OK)	{			//StretchBlt is a GDI function that compresses or streches the bitmap if necessary		StretchBlt(surfaceHDC, destx, desty, width, height, imageHDC, 0, 0, width, height, SRCCOPY);		(*lpdds)->ReleaseDC(surfaceHDC);	}		}	DeleteObject(hbitmap);	DeleteDC(surfaceHDC);	DeleteDC(imageHDC);	}            

By the way, destx and desty is the destination coordinates on the destination surface.
Hope I helped

Edited by - eckax on August 8, 2000 8:11:27 AM

Edited by - eckax on August 8, 2000 8:14:37 AM
---------------------------------------------These are not the droids you're looking for---------------------------------------------
Using LoadBitmap or LoadImage is lame. By writing it yourself you have a greater degree of flexibility and can use PAK files. At some point I''ll post a complete replacement for Andre''s Load_Bitmap_File().

You can just overwrite it and it''ll work!

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
thanks eckax, that gave me a better idea of what i should be doing, but i dont really wanna use GDI at all

smidge_tech: that would be great if you could do that
It''s taking me a while to find the code.

Try shifting each component you pass to the _RGB565 macro right by 3.

i.e. Whenever you do this:

SixteenBitCol = _RGB565(red, green, blue);

do this:

SixteenBitCol = _RGB565(red >> 3, green >> 3, blue >> 3);

I can''t remember exactly how I fixed his code, but it was something along th lines of that. Try it, it might just work.

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
smidge_tech, with your macro I got the Load_Bitmap_File to work but the colors are still a litle strange, but that shouldn't be any problem to solve, but I wont use the GDI function anymore

Edited by - eckax on August 9, 2000 7:34:34 AM
---------------------------------------------These are not the droids you're looking for---------------------------------------------
Nice to know!

Expect that reliable code replacement soon; if I''ve forgotten, email me.

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement