Microsoft releases "Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 "

Started by
108 comments, last by rohde 19 years, 10 months ago
You can now, for free, download MS's C++ optimizing compiler with the CRT and STL (formerly this was only included in the VS.NET 2003 package)! Oops, forgot the link: Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 There's no place like 127.0.0.1 [edited by - rohde on April 18, 2004 8:19:11 AM] [edited by - rohde on April 18, 2004 8:19:54 AM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Advertisement
Huh? Are you saying it works with VC 6.0 ?
With some tweaking (and loss of convenience), any compiler using standard IO streams can be used in VS6. So, I believe that this can too.

This is great news for hobbyist programmers, by the way - Microsoft''s compiler generally produces lightning-fast and very reliable code.

-Nik

Niko Suni

Where did you hear about this? This is the first I''ve heard of this, and it seems to be extremely suprising/important information. The second a half decent front end is wrapped around this compiler, alternative/free C++ compilers are going to be rendered pointless.

I don''t understand the business logic behind this. I would''ve assumed it was an attempt to expand marketshare on Windows development, but Visual Studio/Microsoft''s compilers already have near complete market saturation. Is this an indirect attack on Linux/Mac/etc by providing completely superior development tools on Windows, for free?

Does anybody have any guesses or insight why they would do this????
quote:Original post by haro
Where did you hear about this? This is the first I've heard of this, and it seems to be extremely suprising/important information. The second a half decent front end is wrapped around this compiler, alternative/free C++ compilers are going to be rendered pointless.

I don't understand the business logic behind this. I would've assumed it was an attempt to expand marketshare on Windows development, but Visual Studio/Microsoft's compilers already have near complete market saturation. Is this an indirect attack on Linux/Mac/etc by providing completely superior development tools on Windows, for free?

Does anybody have any guesses or insight why they would do this????

Well I read it on CodeProject and apparently it was first announced on a msdn blog.

I agree with you on the analysis. With a decent front end it would probably become the hobbyists preferable C++ compiler targetting (both native and .NET) Windows.

You would also need the dubgger tools: Microsoft Debugging Tools. The debugging tools are free as well.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

[edited by - rohde on April 18, 2004 9:25:56 AM]

[edited by - rohde on April 18, 2004 9:26:31 AM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
fyi, this is seriously old news. Since the release of the .NET SDK you have been able to download command line tools. It would appear that Microsoft has just separated them into their own package.

It will not only appeal to hobbyists, but to people like myself who primarily code for unix operating systems; we tend to enjoy the more indepth control offered by command line tools.

Now, if only they would ensure compliance with GCC parameters.....
quote:Original post by ChaoticCanuck
fyi, this is seriously old news. Since the release of the .NET SDK you have been able to download command line tools. It would appear that Microsoft has just separated them into their own package.

It will not only appeal to hobbyists, but to people like myself who primarily code for unix operating systems; we tend to enjoy the more indepth control offered by command line tools.

umm..no. IIRC the C++ compiler you got with the .NET SDK did NOT include CRT and STL etc., which rendered it useless unless you purely targetted .NET. So this is news indeed.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

[edited by - rohde on April 18, 2004 9:41:28 AM]
fyi, this is seriously old news. Since the release of the .NET SDK you have been able to download command line tools.

The .NET sdk does not include an optimizing C++ compiler, much less the 2003 version.

"Compliance"? That would imply GCC is some kind of standards body.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I guess you still need to get the Platform SDK separately? Oh well, that''s free anyway, albeit a rather huge download.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement