Present your projects that uses AngelScript

Started by
30 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm interested in knowing where AngelScript is being used. And I thought you too might be interested in showing your projects. Any serious projects will be added to the AngelScript users list (with your permission of course). Even if you don't have a page, or anything to show yet, perhaps you would be willing to describe what you are doing or thinking of doing. No need to go into any details. I'm only asking out of curiousity. No, strings attached. [Edited by - WitchLord on August 3, 2004 4:17:36 PM]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
I''ll be the first to present my project. Although it''s been ages since I actually had the time to update it (most time goes to AngelScript itself).

Texture Generator was the first application to use AngelScript. It was written mainly to test the capabilities of AngelScript, but then grew into something fairly usable. It has potential to become even more useful with the use of plugins (for algorithm that need extra speed, such as perlin noise) and allowing loading/saving of images from the script.

AngelScript was originally thought of for my future plans to develop games. I am going to use AngelScript to control the GUI, such as menu handling etc, and in game events such as opening doors etc. I haven''t decided if I''m going to use AS for AI, but it seems that it is capable of doing that as well.

I only wish I had the time to work on all the game ideas that I have. As it is I barely have enough time to work on AngelScript. Oh well, that''s life...

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

The project I have been working on is a 3D game engine called Ghoul. I have been working on the engine as a school project. The major emphasis on the project was to design the system completely before implementing it. This was a individual project that had to be implemented in about a three month timeframe (after the design was completed). I had to keep the project requirements very attainable, especially considering I have had never done any graphics, audio, physics, or scripting work prior to the project, and because I had to balance the work with my other classes.

The engine exposes interfaces to each of the subsystems (graphics, audio, resources, physics, etc) to AngelScript. Scripts are used for configuring the engine and doing any auto-start type functionality. Each level has its own script that loads all the resources for that level, as well as starting any scripts that animate the various entities inside the level. Scripts can also be used to define responses to key/button/axis changes. Certain input (e.g. movement and mouse look) are done in straight C++ code to reduce latency, but any command where latency isn’t really an issue I implemented in scripts.

The final product has met most of the requirements I set for myself, but it is not anything outstanding. I had a website for the project, but my cable modem provider just started limiting me to 1 IP address. After I graduate and move into my own place I''ll post some projects that use AngelScript...

Next engine will be better though!
I'm using AS for BeatHarness which is basicly a script- and content-driven (winamp)visualization-plugin.
( http://www.beatharness.com )

Using AS for BH almost compensates the horror of having to use LUA for KZ

[edited by - LDenninger on May 14, 2004 8:21:09 AM]
_-=[ "If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now." ]=--=[ BeatHarness ]=-=[ Guerrilla Games ]=-=[ KillZone ]=-
I haven''t actually started using Angelscript yet (aside from a few test programs to get comfortable with what it can do), but I''m planning to incorporate it into a game engine I''m working on. The Horde Engine, as it''s called, has two main goals. The first is to optimise performance as a top down / isometric engine (useful for RPG or RTS) although it''s a full 3D engine. The second is to handle many characters on screen at reasonable framerates.

Currently I plan to use Angelscript for AI and level scripts. I might well link it into the console for executing commands.

Unfortunately I have no website up for it yet.
Patrick HoganLead ProgrammerBrand Knew (Pty) Ltd.
Multiplayer 2D engine, hovercraft type vehicles that fly around and kill each other. This is my first big game, and I''m mainly doing it as a personal challenge - and as a distraction from uni . SD1 assignments don''t really do it for me...
As much of the game logic as possible is being scripted. No website as of yet, but I''ll get around to something eventually.

- Xavier
We''re right now in the pre-alpha development phase for Xtreeme Forces, a FPS Squad Action game and we are using Angelscript for our AI/GUI/Initlization stuff.

Jayanth.K
Raptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.raptorentertainment.com
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
Very exciting projects, everyone. I look forward to trying them all out one day.

My own game engine (still pretty much only in my mind) can be described much like that of Orin''s. The game I will write with it is heavily inspired by Team17''s Alien Breed. I''ve been wanting to write this game for about 5 years now, but time doesn''t let me. At least I know that I''m serious about it since my inspiration hasn''t decreased during these years, if anything it has grown.

I''m slowly building the tools and libraries that I will need to make the game. The game engine framework will be based on that of Tower. The scripting library will be AngelScript (of course). I''m only missing the level editor, and the mesh animation code. Once those two components are done I figure that I have everything I need to make this game come true.

Since I don''t have the resources nor time to spend making the types of games of today (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc), I will instead concentrate on solid game play with good stylized graphics. There will not be too much fancy effects that need pixel shaders etc.

Hi,

I am using AngelScript in a survival horror game named Dravanti that I am working on slowly in my spare time. This is still in the early stages, but some screenshots of an old test version are on the site, as well as a developer diary I am writing.

AngelScript is currently used for a GUI that I wrote for the game menus, with script being linked to any event that a UI element can have. It will be used in a similar way for the game world, all objects will have events (OnAction, OnTouch, Onshot, etc) and script will run when those events are triggered. It will also run the AI for the enemies when they are put in.

The game itself uses Resident Evil style pre-rendered 2d backdrops with overlaid 3d characters/items/effects for indoor locations, and will be in proper third-person perspective 3d for outdoors locations.

Dan

Dan

quote:Original post by WitchLord
My own game engine (still pretty much only in my mind) can be described much like that of Orin''s. ... I''m only missing the level editor, and the mesh animation code.

It certainly does sound like we''re onto very similar ideas. Funny you should mention mesh animation code. I''ve been working on Horde''s for quite a while now. Man, what a task! It''s one of those things that''s easy to do but damn hard to do well. The mesh code, at present, makes up 50% of the engine codebase which already has sound, music, texture management, font and console modules complete. And I''m not done yet!

But speaking of collecting resources, I have to say that I''ve seen a few real quality LGPL (or equally unrestrictive, or at least relatively cheap) libraries sprout up in the last while that have really made it far easier for "amateur" developers to put together an effective game engine with a modest (or non-existant) budget. I think Angelscript really fills an important gap. I actually started a similar project a while back but got distracted by some or other shiny thing.
Patrick HoganLead ProgrammerBrand Knew (Pty) Ltd.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement