• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Sending your party off

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wavinator   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 14 August 2000 - 12:48 PM

You''ve got too much gold to carry. Or you need that claymore indentified. Or you need some more reagents. But you''re too busy hacking your way through the 9th level the dungeon to go back to town. So why don''t you get one of your NPC party members to do it? I think it''d be cool if you could send your party members off to do things in other towns. You could tell them to buy or sell, or maybe even use their skills. You''d need to be able to set waypoints for them, though, so they didn''t go where you didn''t want them to go. And what if they got ambushed? Well, this would be a risk you''d take, and maybe you''d send your two fighters to protect your mage while he did all of this. Waddaya think? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...

Sponsor:

#2 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 14 August 2000 - 01:12 PM

Kool, but very hard to do... I think you have been playing to much Might and Magic x games (reagent! ha) . Play diablo... Use a portal! . I still think it has merit though.

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)

#3 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 14 August 2000 - 02:18 PM

It HAS BEEN done. Years and years ago (more than 10 if I am correct), in a beautiful like RPG called Magic Candle 2.
You could send an NPC of yours to a town and tell him to wait for you there. Or you could leave one of your NPC in a town, to train, while you were off in the wilderness, I think you could even tell the NPC to go somewhere else to meet in case you were late at the rendez-vous.

youpla :-P

Don''t do things because they are easy...

#4 Anonymous Poster.   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 August 2000 - 03:35 PM

ahw- Thank you! I read the first post and I couldn''t remember what the name of that game was!

Personally, I thought it added alot to the game, and isn''t hard to do at all, at least in single player, since the NPC''s would only have to be modeled mathematically. In multi-player, the restriction is that the NPC''s would have to be either really well-scripted or with really flexible AI, because other players would be trying to interact w/ them.

For anybody out there experienced with programming systems, even on pen & paper, how would you model the first-player scenario?

#5 Nazrix   Members   -  Reputation: 307

Posted 14 August 2000 - 06:34 PM

I found this link to Magic Candle . I think it''s considered abandonware.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix

#6 Voodoo4   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 August 2000 - 09:25 PM

quote:

Dwarfsoft Wrote:
Play diablo... Use a portal!

This was an easy but brilliant way to take you back to town without going the long way round.Excellent design to my opinion!

I have Magic Candle in my abandonware download list(i'm a maniac collector of abandonware games,over 230) but after what you say here i'll give it some priority.

Voodoo4

Edited by - Voodoo4 on August 15, 2000 4:26:05 AM

#7 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 14 August 2000 - 10:12 PM

LOL! I definitely like the linking of casting->quick town, but for an undefined town, you may be able to set waypoints wherever you want to go, and then move around using the "symbol save" idea that someone came up with

Check our site:

#8 Wavinator   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 15 August 2000 - 07:56 AM

quote:
Original post by ahw

It HAS BEEN done. Years and years ago (more than 10 if I am correct), in a beautiful like RPG called Magic Candle 2.
You could send an NPC of yours to a town and tell him to wait for you there. Or you could leave one of your NPC in a town, to train, while you were off in the wilderness, I think you could even tell the NPC to go somewhere else to meet in case you were late at the rendez-vous.

AWESOME!!! I HAVE to check this game out. It''d be very interesting if things could happen to your party while they''re away; maybe they could be kidnapped, or make discoveries on their own, or find out rumors by hanging out in the tavern while you''re away.

I like the rendezvous point thing. Wouldn''t it be great if your loyal NPCs came looking for you if you were late? Maybe they could even break you out of prison!

Hmmmm... this could be really cool... what else could they do???

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

#9 Wavinator   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 15 August 2000 - 08:00 AM

quote:
Original post by dwarfsoft

Kool, but very hard to do... I think you have been playing to much Might and Magic x games (reagent! ha) . Play diablo... Use a portal! . I still think it has merit though.

Okay, you''re right. Travel is a bad idea, a portal is better. I could see doing this, however, with a table of random events run every once in awhile while the NPC is in town. Like I mentioned above, they could hear or see something interesting and tell you about it when you got back. The really tough part would be their level of autonomy. If they see badguys come into town, do they wait for you, or try to take them out on their own. Heck, this could be built into the NPC''s personality (cautious or foolhearty...)
Won''t be easy to do, you''re right. ''Course, if we all stick to only the easy stuff we''ll be playing Diablo XXIV before ya'' know it.

--------------------

#10 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 18 August 2000 - 01:34 AM

NO NO NO NO NO ! Portal is *BAD*
That''s the worst damn solution. It just oozes the weak design, the absence of creativity.
I mean, come on, I can accept it in "Sliders" (the series), I like it in Ultima, because they are not portable, and they fit into a nice stone circle, but this, "hey, open the portal, we have to escape NOW!" is just SOOOOOO far stretched.
That''s probably the one cliche we forgot to mention in the cliche thread.

Please, let''s do something more creative, or at least a bit more interesting than "press the button to disappear".

I guess it''s just that I like when magic is a really powerful thing in my games. If anyone can use a power like teleport anyplace anytime without having to have done years and years of study, please tell me what''s the fuc*ing point of being a magician ?

mmmh. I want elitist magic.

youpla :-P

---
A vaincre sans peril, on meurt sans gloire.

#11 Gyzmo   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 18 August 2000 - 01:38 AM

It not only HAS been done, it WILL be done in dungeonsiege.

www.dungeonsiege.org I believe.

Gyzmo
=======================
[signature][/signature]

Edited by - Gyzmo on August 18, 2000 8:39:11 AM

#12 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 18 August 2000 - 01:40 AM

Make it hard to cast (remove it until REALLY needed) and make them have to have specified waypoints. That way, they could end up anywhere if they are in a hurry. Making them have to specify waypoints means that the portal point could have been infested by creatures again. Maybe you are thinking of the actual Diablo/II portal system? I am thinking of my own implementation of it... A lot harder to actually portal. Cost of energy (tiring), cost of mana, cost of concentration (due to tiring). It takes time to actually cast as well (cast times are important) so the character would be left vulnerable for some specified amount of time (longer than current casting takes).

Because they are trying to cast, they are unable to defend themselves... Do you see that there are now dangers that should be taken into account? This is why it was a weak design in Diablo/II. Is it such a weak design now? yes, but it is much better. I have some other methods, but it is much to late for me to be thinking

Check our site:

#13 Wavinator   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 18 August 2000 - 08:10 AM

I kind of like the idea of your NPCs being able to carry inventory off because it makes you somewhat vulnerable. This gives you the option to strategize accordingly, as in do you want to have your guys help you out with this level and risk sending a party member off, or do you want to risk going it alone and have the rest of your party cover them.

I think this could really work if some things in th game world required you to be at two places at once: Say you''ve promised to help a city if it is attacked, but you''re in the middle of a time sensitive quest. Maybe you send your most powerful wizard to go defend the city while you complete the quest. Then maybe he''s captured, and this gives you a new quest.

--------------------

#14 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 18 August 2000 - 12:34 PM

I like that thinking... I wouldn''t want portals if this is what you were trying to achieve. You may have to place ''markers'' around so that the wizard will be able to find his/her way back to the city. Or else, you could have a pathfinding algo that would estimate the time to travel, and then just have the wizard walk off and then appear in the city later... Just a thought

Check our site:

#15 Wavinator   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 19 August 2000 - 08:22 AM

quote:
Original post by dwarfsoft

I like that thinking... I wouldn''t want portals if this is what you were trying to achieve. You may have to place ''markers'' around so that the wizard will be able to find his/her way back to the city. Or else, you could have a pathfinding algo that would estimate the time to travel, and then just have the wizard walk off and then appear in the city later... Just a thought

I''m was thinking of just imbedding a bunch of weighted graphs in the map that have trave times, enemy positions, and such. Then the wizard could follow the smartest path. But if he''s a risk maybe your waypoint idea would be better. At least he should show you which route he''s gonna go, and you could adjust it as you like.

--------------------

#16 C-Junkie   Members   -  Reputation: 1099

Posted 22 August 2000 - 04:57 AM

These are some excellent solutions, but whats with the way points? If there''s a trouble spot you''ve just got to TELL the NPC where that is! Stay in character here people. The NPC would just need to know what to do in his memory, and how he reacts to situations along the way depends on his/her personality. (as was stated earlier) It''s really simple as long as the whole world''s AI is running all at once.

#17 C-Junkie   Members   -  Reputation: 1099

Posted 22 August 2000 - 05:01 AM

OH, yeah. forgot, the NPC could still use a portal if he wanted (or was instructed) to. I suppose that would depend on important the situation was.

Then there''s another thing. Why does the NPC WANT to do what the player asks? If it sounds way to risky the NPC should refuse!

#18 Dak Lozar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 August 2000 - 05:03 AM

Dungeon Siege is going to allow you to send parties to different locations... the example that you gave would be possible in that game

Dungeon Siege

I like the looks of this game alot and can''t wait to see/play it

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

#19 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 22 August 2000 - 05:53 PM

The problem with my maps is that they are randomly generated. But they are randomly generated with roads. I should find it quite easy to ask an NPC to go HERE, and they could follow the roads. You just have the system place a waypoint at each intersection and it has a list of cities/towns/or waypoints and their distances away that it can directly be linked to. Then, when you ask your NPC to go somewhere, they follow the road... They are also interested in self preservation, and as such will return to a previous point on the road if they fell danger ahead. You could then also specify other waypoints for quick off-road journies

Just a thought. BTW. The waypoints are not the waypoints as seen in Diablo II. They are nodes that are there for pathfinding and pathfinding alone. They are invisible to you, but they are visible to NPC''s who are following them. I cannot think of a simpler system. I believe that this was discussed in another forum about Half Life and the nodes for pathfinding.

Check our site:

#20 Wavinator   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 22 August 2000 - 06:22 PM

What about the case where you have 2 roads, equally good, but your past experience tells you that one road is better than the other. For instance, you could decide that enemies are near, but not likely to attack, and send the NPC the road that''s near them.

Or what about the case where you''re so paranoid that you want and enemy to take a super-safe road, even though it''s less optimal, no matter what?

I think a good solution here would be to have the NPC show you his route on the map, and you could adjust it if you like. Better yet, give the map''s regions names and have the NPC''s be smart enough to tell you his route by text. "I''m off to Egypt, by way of Medea" (or whatever).

I agree it should be kept in character. But we all hate it when AI does something stupid, and with the analysis required here it seems like stupidity is easy to come by.

--------------------

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS