• Create Account

[java] Should JWindows stay true to its roots?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 August 2000 - 12:47 AM

Hi, As some of you already might know I have made a library for Java that allows the user to write native MS Windows applications. When I get around to adding DirectX support I suspect that this library will be a must for any Java games programmer working on the Windows platform. It can be found at http://www.rolemaker.dk/JWindows/index.htm My question to this forum is, how would you like JWindows API to be? There is generally two basic approaches: 1. Make the API as true to the orignal C++ and simply inherit the legacy of odd functions calls with inconsistant names and inconsitant use. The advantage of this is that it is more consistant with C++ and you will better be able to understand litterature and books on the subject. 2. Clean up all these problems and make a consistant and clean interface. This will be easier to program and programs will be easier to understand. So what do you think? Jacob Marner

Sponsor:

#2 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1217

Posted 29 August 2000 - 12:48 AM

C++ all the way....

Nah, I think it needs a clean up, even though I am barely starting Java but am Profficient in C/C++

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

#3 Neurotic   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 August 2000 - 01:23 AM

I think it sounds great,

But since you''re doing everything for the development with Java, I figure everything should conform to Javadoc standards.

Java programmers may know C++, or they may not. You know that they''re used to javadoc (and if they''re not, what are they doing with Java?) so make life easy.

Just my 2 c.

Mark

----
http://go.to/e[m]anate
----

#4 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 August 2000 - 03:27 AM

After a few replies the voting goes for cleaning up. I generally agree, but...

I hope that you voters actually are saying; that JWindows should be more independant and that Windows and other DirectX will become less useful than they otherwise would be.

The risk is that JWindows isn''t going to have the proper documentation and tutorials to really be useful (writing these things takes time - time I would rather use on making features).

This puts more pressure on the open source community itself to make such documentation and tutorials.

Do you really think this is really possible?

On the other hand, one might say that if people only know Java they will have problems under standing the C++ documentation in the first place, so maybe nothing much is lost.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner

#5 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 August 2000 - 03:29 AM

And to dwarfsoft,

When I am talking about the API I am not taking about the documentation of the API (javadocs) but rather on the actual class hierarchy and how it is structured and how each call is made and what calls are needed to do a certain task.

Jacob Marner

Edited by - felonius on August 29, 2000 10:30:03 AM

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS