• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Getting started in Win32 programming...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 August 1999 - 05:48 PM

OK, I'll admit it. I'm too cheap to go out and buy MSVC++ (rather, can't afford it). I'm using LCC-WIN 32 and DJGPP and am rather profficient at DOS programming. Anyway, now I want to start Windows programming but have found very little documentation related to either compiler. DJGPP and RSXNTDJ (Win32 with DJGPP) just don't work for me. Anyway, I was wondering, will code meant for MSVC++ or any other big-name compiler work for LCC-WIN 32 without having to know the compiler's nuances in and out (will I have to change 90% of commands?)? I know it can only use C code not C++, that's not a problem. If the difference isn't too big, would someone be able to point me to a decent set of online tutorials on Windows programming? I got the Win32 API Reference but am completely confused (all these strange datatypes).

Someday I might be able to buy (or borrow) a copy of MSVC++ but until then, I'm stuck!

I know I'll be told to get a book but believe it or not, I haven't found any in my area! I can't order one on the Internet either (no credit card). There aren't even any in the local libraries.

Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

-Steve, the ever-clueless (not to mention penniless) programmer

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS