Getting started in Win32 programming...

Started by
-1 comments, last by Steve 24 years, 7 months ago
OK, I'll admit it. I'm too cheap to go out and buy MSVC++ (rather, can't afford it). I'm using LCC-WIN 32 and DJGPP and am rather profficient at DOS programming. Anyway, now I want to start Windows programming but have found very little documentation related to either compiler. DJGPP and RSXNTDJ (Win32 with DJGPP) just don't work for me. Anyway, I was wondering, will code meant for MSVC++ or any other big-name compiler work for LCC-WIN 32 without having to know the compiler's nuances in and out (will I have to change 90% of commands?)? I know it can only use C code not C++, that's not a problem. If the difference isn't too big, would someone be able to point me to a decent set of online tutorials on Windows programming? I got the Win32 API Reference but am completely confused (all these strange datatypes).

Someday I might be able to buy (or borrow) a copy of MSVC++ but until then, I'm stuck!

I know I'll be told to get a book but believe it or not, I haven't found any in my area! I can't order one on the Internet either (no credit card). There aren't even any in the local libraries.

Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

-Steve, the ever-clueless (not to mention penniless) programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement