• Create Account

Slow forum?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 bosjoh   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 September 1999 - 08:29 PM

Sometimes (like now) it takes ages for the forums to load. This is very annoying.

Anyone experiencing this too?
Or is it just my connection

Sponsor:

#2 NuFAN   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 September 1999 - 08:27 AM

I never had those problems.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

#3 SonicSilcion   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 September 1999 - 08:50 AM

Maybe is just perception?

__The forums seemed to load slow at home on our 33.6kbps modem, but it loads at the same speed at college, and that's a T1 piggybacked on a T3. (Averaging 35-60 Kbps.)
__It either could be the GameDev server, or the fact that the site runs on ASP (I hedge my bets on the latter.)

#4 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1360

Posted 29 September 1999 - 01:01 PM

I get mixed results myself. Somedays the thing hauls ass, other days it's a piece o poop. I do know that sometimes all it is are the damn ads that slow things down.

Kevin

#5 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2305

Posted 29 September 1999 - 02:38 PM

I can promise that any problems with the forums have absolutely nothing to do with ASP. They don't use it. At all.

Kevin is probably right about the ad servers. We are trying to get them to do something about it.

#6 bosjoh   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 September 1999 - 07:28 PM

I have a 56K6 connection so I think that is no problem. The problem is where it seeks
as0.cybereps
At that point it hangs a lot.

BTW,
today it is all fine and fast again.

#7 foofightr   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 30 September 1999 - 08:29 PM

yes, as0.cybereps.com is the one that stalls the whole thing, usually for up to 10 seconds. very annoying, because it has to contact it every page on the board.

right NOW (2:34am) it's fine though..

[This message has been edited by foofightr (edited October 01, 1999).]

#8 Kepler   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 January 2000 - 07:33 AM

Myopic Rhino,

I beg your pardon, but your statement makes no sense. Every page used in this forum is an ASP page (just look at the address), plus this forum is based on "ASP Forums", an entirely ASP-based web forum. If I am wrong, please correct me, but saying that no ASP is used is clearly false.

As to ASP being "slow", that makes no sense at all. ASP is server side scripting and is dependent on the server itself. If the machine is decent, it will crank just fine, assuming the server is good enough to keep SQL running. We won''t get into SQL server now Perhaps they need to beef it up, or perhaps it is overtaxed with other tasks.

I''d appreciate any further info.

#9 LostSoul   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 January 2000 - 08:23 AM

I am not sure if any of you noticed, but the dates on these posts are all over the place.... Is this an old message that has been recently reposted?!

LostSoul

#10 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1360

Posted 10 January 2000 - 10:08 AM

The boards use ASP now, but they didn''t about a month ago. They were UBB which uses CGI.

Kevin

#11 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2305

Posted 10 January 2000 - 11:45 AM

Kepler: At the time of this posting, the forums used UBB. On the 1st of January, we switched to our own custom software to allow integration with a site-wide user system. This forum is loosely based on ASP-Dev Forum, but we rewrote most of it and added a slew of new features, while at the same time keeping the look and feel the same as the UBB we used. We also imported all threads from the old forum, so there are a few, like this one, that should be ignored.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS