A new theory for RTS AI

Started by
5 comments, last by morfe 23 years, 7 months ago
This is just an idea, but I thought it warranted a new thread: One of the problems with RTS games are the enemy attacks and attacking in a form that is effective yet hard to predict and defend against. So, why not model the attack patterns of the units using a particle system? Instead of a graphical particle, use a unit with a standardised AI for it''s class. They would move in formation, attack on multiple fronts, and be quick to update. What do you think? Merrick ------------------------------------------------- "Children come to us in a state of purity and perfection from the great undifferentiated absolute and then, like everything else on this planet, we fuck them up."
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Advertisement
I think this is one of the topic of my MSc Computing So yes, it will be done !

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Woohoo! Great idea, congrats. I''ve neve thought about it before, it seems it can be implemented, if you mix it with standard ai techniches.

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
Actually Morfe can you expand on this concept a little with some concrete examples please.

Cheers,

Mike
Let me take a shot at what he means. In particles you usually want them to move randomly and rotate and stuff. So if you had a group of a tank and 4 soilders, they are moving in a straight line in normal RTS until they hit something or something like that. But usually if you are marching a line of soilders, they will swerve randomly because of human error. And than when they are under attack, they arent going to continue to walking like British, they are going to scatter for cover or hit the ground and return fire. Basically you make the AI a particle and move it around like a particle I guess but still have the properties of a unit with AI...
Ok I think I really messed that all up lol.
Cool idea though.

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
www.bhpro.com
simon@bhpro.com
||--------------------------||
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
That''s pretty close ... What I mean is to retain AI for firing and stuff, but use a particle engine to coordinate movement. That was, the units will move in a sort of formation (using chaos theory) but will be hard to predict and therefore make a more challenging enemy.

By using a particle system and not just random movements, you can update the variables in the particle engine and have the changes trickle down to the units. Sort of like having a sergeant who issues orders to the grunts...

While I''m here, I''ve been trying this out with good results. By implementing 3D vectors, I have infantry with jump jets They are a BITCH to defend against, which is kinda what I want. Also, I''m using a simple learning system which remembers which variables and manoeuvres work well together to defeat the enemy. So after about 100 rounds, the system becomes deadly. You wouldn''t know you were playing a dumb computer if it weren''t for the ease with which it coordinates attacks from all sides (and above) simultaneously.

It''s beautiful watching it play itself ... units shooting in mid-air, jumping all over the place, shields flaring on the way up to block an attack only to spin smoothly to fire on another unit on their way down ...

I''m having soooo much fun ... more technical details later, but at least I''m sharing the theory

Merrick

-------------------------------------------------
"Children come to us in a state of purity and perfection from the great undifferentiated absolute and then, like everything else on this planet, we fuck them up."
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
This sound kinda similar to flocking used in a-life research coupled with autonoumus steering behaviour. I think Age of Empires use something similar from what i''ve read on the gameasutra articles, to do their unit formations and such. Any screen shots of your game ? 8^)

-ddn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement