Installers

Started by
11 comments, last by Decoy 23 years, 7 months ago
Does anyone know of any free/cheap half-decent InstallShield style programs out there? Something that can be used for a budget/value commercial game. Thanks.
Advertisement
Unregistred version on Installmaker at clickteam.com, FTP section
This reminds me... There''s something I''ve been meaning to rant about. Hope this is the right place! :-)

->Begin Rant<-

I HATE installers. Hate ''em.

I know they serve a useful purpose for "application programs" in windows, like allowing them to integrate better with the OS (ex - right click on something, get a "edit with this program" option) but I see NO reason why a game would need to use one.

What happened to the days when you got a program, which came with an exe and some supporting files, you started the exe and it JUST RAN?? I don''t want to have to go through a complete install/uninstall to try out a game. I don''t want to worry about doing a proper uninstall instead of just nuking the game directory. And I sure as hell don''t want to deal with installers/uninstallers that don''t fucking work, and leave remenants on my computer. When''s the last time you uninstalled a program and it actually removed EVERYTHING that it installed? (by this I mean program directories, shortcuts,etc) Very rare. God only knows what these things are leaving hanging around in my registry.

I''ve seen plenty of demos that arrive on my desktop and run without a hitch straight from the exe. So why can''t everyone just make games that run by themselves? So maybe you won''t be able to automatically insert a shortcut on the user''s desktop/start menu. So what? People ought to know how to do that themselves. Half the time the stupid installers go ahead and put shortcuts all over the place without asking you where, or whether you even want them (Microsoft, I''m looking in your direction...).

So I implore all of you - if it''s techniclly possible (and it almost always is) distribute your games in runable condition without a setup/uninstall program. Saves a lot of hassle.

->End Rant<-

I''d be interested to hear what everyone thinks. Am I insane? Or are these things just not nessesary in our field?

I could be wrong, but aren't the installers/uninstallers used so that the program enters/removes info to/from the registry?

Edited by - Nazrix on September 12, 2000 2:55:07 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
InnoSetup
At least I think that was the name..memory is failing once again

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
PyroBoy,
Yeah it''s kinda stupid that a small game like the one I''m looking at needs an installer but people have come to expect it. You said "People ought to know how to do that themselves" but sadly lots of them don''t. And why limit your audience excluding those who don''t know how?

Anon and Staffan,
Thanks for the suggestions. I''ll look at them.
I use Inno Setup too. highly recommended, and free ;-)
I agree about installers. I rarely use the registry for my games, i keep my config files in the game directory where i can see em ;-) otherwise when users have problems and restore an old registry, bang goes your game.
I only use an installer because stupid users sometimes dont know what to click on, and it handles the unzipiing of compressed files.

http://www.positech.co.uk
I got "InstallShield For Visual C++" when I bought VC++ (well, when I bought Visual Studio) and I only think it''s useful for programs with lots of folders/files or big files. For games these days, I think it is very useful having an install program to transfer the files rather than rely on the person who bought it to do it themself. It''s much more convenient.

Although, if you only have a small program with only a few files there''s really no point.

~~Cratus~~
~~Cratus~~
Think a bit like your customers. What kinds of games would you think are better (first impression)? The one that uses XYZ bad looking freeware installer or the professional and well known InstallShield Wizard?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

> Am I insane?

Though question. IMHO, an installer is a must nowdays.

There is a hungarian page for Innosetup. Man, I couldn''t believe.

bernie
www.bkgames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement