• Create Account

mp3 thought

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 jobu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 November 1999 - 03:54 PM

i was wondering is it possible to make a portable cd player that could play mp3 files from a cd?

Sponsor:

#2 Jeranon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 November 1999 - 05:53 PM

Certainly. Someone was doing it as a thesis project during my final year in University. Quite easy actually. Just need an embedded OS with a small footprint and all you need is the mp3 player software. A good enough processor since it will be mp3 dedicated to do the decoding. Now the fact is, are you happy with moving parts causing skipping? Otherwise you need anti-shock measures and that requires expensive RAM. That's probably why they aren't making CD mp3 players - well, they are sort of; it's called notebook.

#3 Melo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 November 1999 - 04:48 AM

Yes, the shock protection could be a problem, but why not store the data on MDs?
I don't like the MP3-players at the moment, 'cause I don't want to get these tiny memory cards lost

#4 ghowland   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 10 November 1999 - 05:23 AM

The do in fact now have 8 second memory CD players that play MP3s off CDs. If you search for it hard enough (probably not that hard with all the MP3 portals), youll find it.

-Geoff

#5 jobu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 November 1999 - 10:13 AM

would that be portable cd players or a home cd player component?

#6 jobu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 November 1999 - 03:21 PM

well for 400 bucks i managed to find one cd player for a home system that does play mp3 cds as well as regular ones

#7 ghowland   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 10 November 1999 - 03:54 PM

There are portable ones too, look like normal DiscMans...

-Geoff

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS