Info about how many people have rated you

Started by
39 comments, last by python_regious 19 years, 9 months ago
This is just one of those quick nifties I'd like to have. I bet it'll take 5 minutes to implement. In the Personal Rating area, somewhere it should say something like: X people have rated you positively Y people have rated you negatively
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Trivial, but useful nonetheless.
I'll look into it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

While this would work fine for a person who's been given a fair number of ratings, it breaks down when - for example - a person's only been given one rating. It's instantly obvious whether that rating was positive or negative.

I guess a possible solution would be to only show those numbers when you've been rated enough times - say, 20 people have rated you. Though many people have only been rated around 10 times, making such a feature useless to them...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

You could always get rid of the thing that shows who has rated you positively. Personally I think that knowing how many positive/negative ratings you have is more useful than knowing who has rated you positively.
I think knowing who has rated you positively is important. From that, you learn what kind of advice people find useful. By seeing who rated you positively, you should generally be able to figure out what posts were considered useful.
Syntax without semantics is meaningless.
Do you mean a section where you can look up the threads and posters with the highest ratings , which means to look up those threads which were (at least in a certain periode of time ) especially good. So a User can come to the forum and look what are the newest and best advices are... ;)
Maybe a Helper of the month ? But those are all things that we had not in the old forum and that we maybe don't need . Otherwise this gets a pure helper platform and not a place where programmer can communicate in a very qualitive way.
Perhaps useful to many would be something indicating if a particular thread or post caused a change to a user's rating and whether it was postive or negative. I think this would show people what is considered by the community to be helpful and appropriate posts.
Syntax without semantics is meaningless.
Quote:Original post by superpig
While this would work fine for a person who's been given a fair number of ratings, it breaks down when - for example - a person's only been given one rating. It's instantly obvious whether that rating was positive or negative.

Wouldn't that be obvious simply because the rating would be either above or below 1000?

I know it's a really minor thing, but I thought it would be neat and I'm under the (false?) impression that it would be trivial to add, should Michalson or anyone else finally decide to.

The only other thing is that while I understand why you're not allowed to know who rated you down, it could be informative to know how many people rated you down.

[Edited by - Promit on July 17, 2004 9:14:49 PM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
If we can't get a list of who has given what rating (I understand some users would abuse it to 'revenge rate'), the next best thing would be a breakdown of ratings (a table that shows each rating category you've received and how many times you've received that category).

Instead of showing the table only when you've been rated X times, how about showing teh table always, and if you have more than X ratings also show every person that rated you.

Instead of requiring X ratings, you could even make it so you need A positive ratings and B negative ratings, and then you could set the cap lower (since there won't only be one negative that is obvious).
Maybe show the users if either ( >X ratings total ) or ( >A positive and >B negative ratings ), and X could be 10 and A and B could both be 3 or so.

It would also be nice if, for premium members, the lists (of users and ratings) were always visible. Perhaps even show the table of users and the exact rating that person gave you. This would be more likely to work for premium members since they're paying for the service (and a ban would mean losing their money to the end of the time they'd paid for presumably), and it could somewhat be automagically monitered by seeing if a person is often rating people that rated them low also low (of course it couldn't be entirely automatic, but it could reduce the mods' work in this case to only checking on a few poeple instead of all paying members).

How about when you rate a person negatively, it takes you to a screen that basically just says "It is STRONGLY reccomended that you send a {link}Private Message{/link} to {name of person} to explain why you rated them negatively. This will help them learn how they could be a more helpful member" or something like that. I _REALLY_ hate not knowing why I was rated negatively. Really, I don't even know I was rated negatively, but my rating has dropped a few times so I think I might possibly have been and it annoys me to have no idea why =-(
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement