• Create Account

- - - - -

asBSTR and bstr

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ped Xing   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:40 AM

I'm having trouble making my script file read a *bstr from my host program. I define the bstr like so: asBSTR *timeStr; I register the bstr like so: r = engine->RegisterObjectProperty("CGame", "bstr timeStr", offsetof(CGame, timeStr)); assert( r >= 0 ); Then I have a function that returns a Time String:
asBSTR* TimeString()
{
	char buffer[100];
	if (game.min < 10)
	{
		if (game.sec < 10) sprintf(buffer, "0%d'0%d", game.min, game.sec);
		else sprintf(buffer, "0%d'%d", game.min, game.sec);
	} else {
		if (game.sec < 10) sprintf(buffer, "%d'0%d", game.min, game.sec);
		else sprintf(buffer, "%d'0%d", game.min, game.sec);
	}
	return (asBSTR*)buffer;
}

Then every frame I make game.timeStr = TimeString(); inside of my host. When the player dies I want a script file to print the time that he played. So I do this: bstr s = "Time: "; s += game.timeStr; And it crashes my progam. Any advice?

Sponsor:

#2 jetro   Members   -  Reputation: 144

0Likes

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:43 AM

Here's an example of how I am returning bstr to script code. At least this doesn't crash, hopefully this is correct regarding memory usage as well.

static asBSTR script_Object_getName(Object *o)
{
char *name = o->getName();
asBSTR res = asBStrAlloc(strlen(name));
strcpy((char *)res, name);
return res;
}

--Jetro Lauha - tonic - http://jet.ro

#3 Gyrbo   Members   -  Reputation: 187

0Likes

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:58 AM

The problem is the bstr has an extra dword at the start with the size of the string. You have to use BstrAlloc() to create an asBSTR

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS