• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

[java] How to know which MouseButton was pressed

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Harvester   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 September 2000 - 12:35 PM

greets. i know its quite basic, but when using the mouse events (mouseDown(Event....)), how can i tell which button the user pressed? Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 GKW   Members   -  Reputation: 200

Posted 19 September 2000 - 03:16 PM

Have not done this in a while but
mouseevent.getModifiers() & BUTTON3_MASK > 0
Somewone correct me if I am wrong.

I wanrned you! Didn't I warn you?! That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!

#3 GKW   Members   -  Reputation: 200

mouseevent.getModifiers() & BUTTON3_MASK > 0

I wanrned you! Didn't I warn you?! That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!

#4 GKW   Members   -  Reputation: 200

mouseevent.getModifiers() & MouseEvent.BUTTON3_MASK > 0

#5 GKW   Members   -  Reputation: 200

Posted 19 September 2000 - 03:22 PM

Hit the reply to topic button and nothing happened so I kept hitting it. By the way the last post is correct. Forgot the MouseEvent part. Sorry.

#6 baskuenen   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 September 2000 - 08:11 AM

Why not catch the messages WM_LBUTTONDOWN, WM_LBUTTONUP, WM_RBUTTONDOWN, ... ?

#7 Smoo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 September 2000 - 04:26 PM

Perhaps this can help:

in your
public void mouseClicked (MouseEvent evt)
{
if (evt.isMetaDown())
{
// Rightclick
}
else
{
// Leftclick
}
}

about the other buttons... I don''t know sorry.

Smoo

#8 Harvester   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 September 2000 - 04:45 PM

Thanks.... i''ll see which one is most convinient

c''ya

#9 deakin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 September 2000 - 11:53 PM

I was under the impression that Java only supported one mouse button to be compatible with Macs (although I have seen mac mouses with more than one button). At least thats what it says in one of my books...

#10 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 21 September 2000 - 01:50 AM

Smoo, MouseEvent.isMetaDown will return true if the ALT key is held down during the mouse click. The safest way to determine if the second button is being pressed is by checking MouseEvent.isPopupTrigger(). This''ll return true if the mouse button that''s used as the popup menu trigger has been pressed. If the method returns false, you know it''s the "normal" click button.

The reason you want to use this is that if the user is left handed and switches the two mouse buttons, isPopupTrigger will return the correct one. That''s why you don''t want to check for mouse button 1, mouse button 2, etc., unless you want to have specific functionality for those buttons.

In that case, you would do what GKW suggested.

deakin, Java supports up to 3 button mice, and has since at least Java 1.1 was first released. No wheel support [yet] though!

#11 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 September 2000 - 04:39 AM

2000-06-30
A MouseWheelListener was added to BasicScrollPaneUI. The listener code calls into BasicScrollBarUI to scroll the appropriate scrollbar.

This was the evaluation of one of the many ''bug'' reports on java not supportion wheel mice. The code has been commited to Merlin.

#12 Smoo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 September 2000 - 05:51 AM

Just as a reply to anonymous'' post, he/she got me thinking if evt.isMetaDown() would be triggered with the ALT so I tried it and it doesn''t work.

It does register the rightclick.

Perhaps anon was thinking that the mac''s meta was similar to the PC''s ALT (granted I know jack about macs so I have no clue which buttons simulate what on where).

Smoo

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS