• Create Account

[java] Jini based game for mobile devices!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kalath   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 September 2000 - 03:42 PM

Hello, I work for a research company that does work for Ericssons and various European Telecos such as British Telecoms, Eircom (Ireland), KPN (Holland) and Deutsch Telecom (Germany). As part of our research into how Jini (Java services) could be used for next generation mobile device applications I have proposed to develop a simple mud type game. The game will consist of a group of Jini services that will form the core game engine and other Jini services that just hold game world data. This means that areas in the game world can easily and dynamically be plugged in and replaced as needed. Also game functionality will be very easy to modify. I hope to have a generic output format (maybe XML) for the game user interface data. What this means is that various front end services can be plugged in to the game so that the game will support WAP based user iterfaces (text), HTML user interfaces (tradional mud) and graphical user interfaces (might not have time to develop this as part of the project but hopefully will get some sort of gui on it). For the moment the entire game will be serverside (due to security problems with Jini and resource problems on current mobile devices). The game itself will be a very simple multiplayer hack and slash rpg type game similar in nature to a very basic Diablo 1. Hopefully I can get it open sourced so that I can keep it going after the project is finished. The project is until June next year. I''ll get a webpage up once I get a bit more organised. I''m interested in what people think of the idea and if anybody has any good advice or links that could help. Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Jerry Lynn   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 September 2000 - 04:59 PM

One minor suggestion:

You may want to look into Cocoon from Apache for an example of handling multiple format output. Even if you can''t use Cocoon directly in your project it still may serve as a reference.

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/index.html

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS