• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Help Choosing a Beginning Windows Programming Book

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brad   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 December 1999 - 11:59 AM

I have a pretty solid grasp of C++ but I have done very little in the way of windows programming and am looking to buy a good book that will start me off in the right direction. I was thinking of "Beginning visual c++ 6.0" Is this a good choice? Suggestions are welcome.

Sponsor:

#2 Stefpet   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 December 1999 - 11:38 AM

I assume it's the one by Ivor Horton. I've got "Beginning Visual C++ 5.0" and it focus very much on MFC and stuff related to MS Visual C++. It's pretty good but does also include some very basic C++ programming. Check out the comments over at amazon.com, they're usually quite helpful.

#3 Zenroth   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 27 December 1999 - 11:41 AM

Check out Informit.com they have a couple of full free visual c++ books.

#4 Bovine   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 December 1999 - 11:59 AM

I don't have any direct books for you, but Andre LaMothe's Windows game programming book has some basic windows programming elements that you'll need to learn in order to make games.

Personally, I'd avoid MFC at first. Maybe its just my own thing. But MFC makes the way windows behave a little more mysterious. Learning how the message system works, and handling different windows and controls I feel is very important.

Not that I have anything against MFC really. It has some really nice features for you. I just like starting leaner, and getting fatter as I go. Allows you to disect better which elements you need, and help you and which parts are just overhead.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS