• Create Account

Are their any great Free C++ compilers?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 December 1999 - 09:33 PM

I have been searching for a great c++ compiler that is free. I can't really afford to pay out $200 for a good compiler. Also, Does anyone have any ideal what most the big game companies use?

Thnx for your time...

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 December 1999 - 08:52 AM

the big companies mostly use vc++. there are a couple of free compilers around, dont know if their any good.
theres djgpp that u can get from this sites code vault

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 December 1999 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, I have seen djgpp and never downloaded it because I was not to sure what it was...

#4 logistix   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 December 1999 - 01:20 PM

There's also MING. It's the Windows native version of gcc (the free unix compiler). It's a bit of a pain to get set up though, since MS header files are copyrighted and can't just be thrown in.

I did alot of goofing around with OpenGL on it before I got VC++.

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 December 1999 - 07:22 PM

That's cool I have always wanted to get in to the graphical side of C++ programming, I had 2 years of C++ in high school but they NEVER tought us anything with graphics, or about using graphics programs in C++ like 3D studio, OpenGL, or other such programs. So I don't even know how to put that stuff in with a C++ program to make a game. But I just got some reading matterial I have to cathch up on. So does djgpp, work just like a C++ compile such as Borland, or Code Warrior? And can programs like OpenGL work with DJGPP???

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 December 1999 - 09:33 PM

I have found a good C++ compiler that is free it is called Bloodshed Dev-C++ compiler. It works pretty good. Now could you tell me anything about working with OpenGL?

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

#7 Wilka   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 January 2000 - 12:16 PM

Could you post the URL for that Bloodshed Dev-C++ compiler?

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 01 January 2000 - 04:52 PM

if u have to buy a compiler the college bookstores usually have the cheapest prices

#9 sherman   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 02 January 2000 - 06:55 AM

I was wondering whether these free compilers support Win32 programming? Does it come with the windows.h file?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Sherman

#10 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 03 January 2000 - 04:31 AM

Bloodshed Dev-C++ (which is listed along with other free compilers in our Resources section) can be found at www.bloodshed.nu/. It DOES support Win32.

#11 Anton LaVey   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 January 2000 - 04:51 AM

I d/loaded that a few versions ago, when it didn''t support multiple files or projects, like MSVC++ does...
With the current version it gives me an error of "File names with illegal or more than 8 characters are not supported."
Thing is, it doesn''t matter what I type in it gives me that error...

Help!

Anton LaVey

#12 node_5r   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 January 2000 - 05:08 AM

Hey
Best buy and offic max carry a starting programing kits. One has Borland C++ 4.52 comes with learn C in 24 hrs and three more books on CD. Also they have a kit with Microsofts Visual C++ Learn C++ in 21 days book and 2 more on the cd. They are $30 to $50. Thats a great deal. both compile and you can distrubute you work.

Later
node_5r

#13 sherman   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 03 January 2000 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info. DirectX should be no problem if it supports Win32 right?

Best regards,
Sherman

#14 C++ Freak   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 January 2000 - 12:15 PM

I searched forever on-line for a free good compiler that supported win32. Ever since I bought Windows Game Programming For Dummies I searched for about a month for a good win32 compiler. After many downloads and lots of waiting I gave up. It was a sad end. I was going to have to pay $65 for Visual C++ 6.0 pro. But then my uncle heard I needed one and sent Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition for christmas(Yep thats the one with the retail value of $1500). He got it for free from his work.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS