Disallow moderators from viewing those who rated them down

Started by
72 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 7 months ago
Moderators shouldn't be able to see who rated them down if they're going to participate as "normal" members of the forum. I suggest disallowing moderators from seeing who rated themselves down or removing moderator ratings altogether. Clarification My suggestions are these: + Disable the individual moderator's power to view his/her own negative ratings. + Allow other moderators to view other moderators' negative ratings. This is reasonable, I think. Any corruption would require the partnership of two moderators or more, which is unlikely, and it retains the moderators' responsibilities to ensure fairness in ratings. Since that is one of their responsibilities, one would think they should do the same with themselves. Think of this issue as a security hole in a network-related application concerned with the security of your private data. Would you fix the hole as a preventative measure? Or would you leave it open and vulnerable to exploitation... hoping that nobody breaks in? [Edited by - Adraeus on September 10, 2004 4:52:08 PM]
Advertisement
Let me guess, you just rated a mod down. But yeah, if they're going to act as normal members they should be confied to some of the rules.
eh, i don't really care. i rate mods down when i feel they unfairly close a thread.
notepad hates you.
Quote:Original post by JiveTurkey
eh, i don't really care. i rate mods down when i feel they unfairly close a thread.

You could try PMing them. It's actually productive and everything!
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
yeah, i don't really care either. unlike the "unknown user", i trust mods not to go on vengance de-rating sprees. I'd personally find it useful to know who modded me down and when it happened so i could correct myself. however, i know that many of the un-mods amongst us would do those vengance ratings, so i'm happy with things the way they are.

-me
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by JiveTurkey

You could try PMing them. It's actually productive and everything!

i prefer my way because i am a very petty and shallow bitter person. rating-- ;)
notepad hates you.
Quote:Original post by IronWolf
It would be nice if regualr memebers could also see you rated them down.

This has been beaten to death. Long story short, no.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Moderators must see who rated who to moderate abuse of the rating system, ie: people logging with multiple accounts rating people many times.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
people logging with multiple accounts rating people many times.

Ratings are actually IP checked, so you'd need to keep resetting your connection or using different proxies.

That's not to say this kind of stuff hasn't happened.
Quote:Original post by owl
Moderators must see who rated who to moderate abuse of the rating system, ie: people logging with multiple accounts rating people many times.
The problem is that they can see who rated themselves down. I doubt the honesty of some moderators when I see them ask questions publicly like "why did you rate me down?" Moderators are a perfect example of why you shouldn't see who rated you down.

If they're going to participate as normal members of the community, they have to at least be subject to the same rules as we.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement