Landfish.com

Started by
54 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 6 months ago
No, I'm not plugging the site. Yours truly did all of the writing for the site, and so I'm asking you guys to go up and QA it for me. There are several spelling mistakes we're aware of already, but send them to me, along with the critique, to owen@gwar.net. Please don't spam my actual email address. (yes I do have a gwar email address... and I'm going to see them soon... ) Edited by - Landfish on 10/1/00 7:29:41 PM
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Wow! Landfish.com my dream come true.
hehe
Landfish, did you do the art on the RPG page ?
I presume it's laid out for 600x800 res? The layout and loading up times are brilliant! Although did you have to say "as the baddest of the bad" Hmmm, come on.

"So your the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on October 2, 2000 1:06:17 AM
at 800x600, in IE5, i get a horizontal scrolling bar (not much sticks over though, just a half inch or so)... it's a great lookin site, though. i didn't run into any problems, and the navigation is smooth...
overall, a great site, and a great idea/ideal..

oh, and on the philosophy page, the philosophy link goes to projects..

------------------------
IUnknown *pUnkOuter

Edited by - pUnkOuter on October 2, 2000 1:23:27 AM
------------------------IUnknown *pUnkOuter"Try the best you cantry the best you canthe best you can is good enough" --Radiohead
quote:Original post by DarkAngel16

Landfish, did you do the art on the RPG page ?

Nah, I don''t think so. I think LF just basically tells everyone else what to do

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
LOL!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!

Man, what a great logo!! After the wait, this had me cracking up! Love the fish artwork, and the projects artwork has just the right amount of tease.

I have both QA comments and a *BIG QUESTION* at the end.
Okay, here goes...

* QA MODE ON (accompanied by your favorite slick Sci-fi sound FX)

"Rest" assured, Projects Page: "This will be our foray into the world of "near" first person shooters, and reat assured"

There's some graphical artifact (on IE under Win98) above "Contact Us." I think it's the word "Projects"

I'm running 8x6 resolution, but I kept having to scroll right on most pages for the last word of the sentence. Only slightly irritating, but you want to look professional of course.

This is possibly touchy, but... under "Our Team" Shayna - "She thankfully brings a female assurance of quality to the team, we don't know where we would be without her." I'd recommend altering this part. You're highlighting a difference that could be construed as odd at the least, and somewhat sexist at the worst. From your writings elsewhere I get that you may believe that there are too few women on dev projects, but rewrite this sentence to insert some other minority group and you'll get what I mean: "Wavinator thankfully brings an African-American / Irish / Native American assurance of quality to the team..." It sounds weird, as if you're saying "hey, look, we're not sexist..."

Unless it's just for fun, consider tightening up the bios so we get an immediate sense of your qualifications. Anything to show accomplishment would be good.

Definitions, defintions, defintions! I kept running afoul of jargon terms like "near first person shooter" and "non-RPG."

This last one will sting a bit, so know that I don't intend harm but... hubris. The website conveys a certain degree of seemingly unfounded hubris. As a start up dev house, I know you want to project confidence. But until you've proven yourself I'm not sure you want the tone of "attitude" that several of the pages convey. (Even if you're Carmack, I don't think it's wise.) For example, the Intro pages states:

"The next revolution in games won't be another exponent of graphics processing. It won't be a shiny new interface toy that vibrates." - to which I say, 'oh really? How do you know?'

it then states: "The REAL revolution will require people brave enough to explore what makes a game really good, and how to make them that way" - to which I say, 'oh really? How do you know?'

Now, if you were touting some new technology, a great license, some core team with a solid track record of hits, I'd nod in agreement. But right now several assertions seem a bit overstated.

Compare this to Infinite Machine, a company I interviewed with awhile ago. This was created by Justin Chin, a designer with years of experience who I respect greatly. They're a small start up working with GT Interactive and have former Lucas Arts employees and the Unreal engine. They've got technology, and talent, but their tone is different. I think this is important for potential investors and employees alike.

Last point, that sort of relates to the above: "Show me the money!!!!!!!"

Let's say I was a VC with a quarter-mil available to drop on some game project. Somehow I find your page. But I find no business information. To an investor, how could you answer these questions:

"What is your technology?"

"What is your platform?"

"What is your business model? Distribution, sales, marketing?"

"It takes 2 years to develop your average AAA title, yet I see you're working on 3 projects. Which project are you focused on, how much is complete, and what major hurdles exist?"

"You seem like just a content house. How can you prove to me that you can execute, and that I can get a return on my investment?"

If you have answers to these questions, I think putting them up on your site would make landfish.com *MUCH* more substantial and professional in appearance.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on October 2, 2000 2:19:21 AM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

Landfish Quote"Landfish intends to add immense customization options and complex mission-based economic structure to the tired world of deathmatching."

This doesn''t sound as though it is interesting to deathmatchers, "complex mission-based economic" structure ??!

Caution: This could hurt.

I tend to back wavinator quite a bit here. I got the impression that the words written were presumptive and over confident to say the least. You''ll see what i mean when you give it time. Good investors will have problems lending you money if you don''t seem down to earth. Unless you''re a very large group (30+) then most people won''t take you too seriously if your newbies and you''re going for 3 titles at a time and you''re saying that they''re going to be the best. A lot of what you say also comes across a if you''re putting down a lot of other peoples work who make games. This is bad, imho i think you should back other work done in the industry and be seen as a constantly rising star within. I''m not say you don''t ok, i''m saying that this is the way the webpage comes across.

It does require a lot more thought!

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
Well Now,

I thought it was very proffesional..a good team screen...a great site to be sure.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!

The Yipsilon Home Page (Under Construction)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement