• Create Account

[java] need help with games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 littlefish44   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 October 2000 - 05:00 AM

ok, i am an ametur programmer who has used c++ for 2 years and am now being taught java in college. I want to make a RTS game and have no idea where to start, anyone know any good websites or books, or maybe just some good adive i can use?? Littlefish44

Sponsor:

#2 joeG   Members   -  Reputation: 172

Posted 02 October 2000 - 05:59 AM

You''d know how to do it in C++, right? If not then maybe the people over at the General Prog/Disc forum would help you out better, giving you hints on the design of an RTS.

If you do have an idea how to build a RTS in C++ then start by diagramming everything on paper. What you write on paper should largely be independent of any extra-ordinary features of either Java (which, since you are likely just beginning to learn, you don''t know a lot about) and C++ (which, since you have nothing to compare it to, would be stuff like templates and multiple inheritance). Just straight ObjectOrientedDesign. As you learn more about the syntax of Java in your class (which I imagine it might cover pretty thoroughly) you''ll be able to write code for more of your diagrams.

But I''m assuming that your C++ experience included the object-oriented aspects of the language. If not then I''ll recommend you stopping by the Getting Started section on the main page here ate gamedev. It has a good guide of collected wisdom when it comes to starting out making games.

joeG

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS