Try my shadows demo

Started by
50 comments, last by benjamin bunny 19 years, 6 months ago
I've just finished writing a shadowing and lighting demo which uses stencil shadows (depth-pass and depth-fail), bump mapping, gloss maps, and various other techniques. I'm submitting it to potential employers in order to get myself a job, and I'd be interested to see how well it runs on various systems. You'll need a DX9-class video card to run it. The FPS is displayed at the top of the screen. It would be useful to know the kind of frame-rate you get and if you see any problems. System specs would also be useful to know. Download it here. The readme has some technical details and system requirements. See my journal for screenshots.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Advertisement
motherboard: asus a7n8x
chip: barton 2500
video card: radeon 9800 pro

I got 40 fps when I wasn't looking at the pendulum, ran at around 30 fps when I was.

The demo looks great by the way!
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
I have:

P4 2.8 Ghz
512 MB RAM
Nvidia GFX5200

And I get 2-3 FPS. Is my card really so much crap?

It simply crashes (Catalyst..). Radeon 9800 Pro (C4.9). WinXP Pro.
Quote:Original post by mikeman
I have:

P4 2.8 Ghz
512 MB RAM
Nvidia GFX5200

And I get 2-3 FPS. Is my card really so much crap?

Probably. I only get 25-30fps on my Radeon 9700 Pro. While the 5200 is theoretically capable of running it, it's not exactly a performance card, and stencil shadows really eat the fill rate. I'd disable antialiasing if you've got it enabled in your graphics card options.

Quote:It simply crashes (Catalyst..). Radeon 9800 Pro (C4.9). WinXP Pro.

Weird, it works fine on my mobility 9600 pro, and my 9700 pro (cat 4.9). What CPU do you have? Perhaps it doesn't like SSE for some reason.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

AMD xp2500+
512 mb ram
Gainward GFX5200

I get 2-5 FPS. Seems the card is too bad for this demo =\
--- Hellsp4wn ---AstralShadow | ScreamTech

VG Cats

XP2800
512MB PC2700
Geforce FX 5900 128MB
Win2K

Ran it.. around 5fps.. then realized I had antialiasing and anisotropic filtering on all the way..

I get around 20fps.. I do have winamp / aim / firefox / kazaa lite running in the background..

looks very nice.. the only thing that was especially unnerving was the way the light from the moon blended (or didn't blend) with the light projected from the windows.

Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
AMD Athlon (them ol' sh') 1200MHz.
Nice !
~100 fps
6800GT P4@3Ghz 1GB

keep up the good work ;)
--glitch
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
AMD Athlon (them ol' sh') 1200MHz.

Yep, the CPU doesn't like it. I'll put up a non-SSE build in a minute.

Quote:
looks very nice.. the only thing that was especially unnerving was the way the light from the moon blended (or didn't blend) with the light projected from the windows.

Yeah, that's because the moon doesn't exist except in the skybox. You can position a light in its general direction though. Switch to orbit mode, rotate the camera until it's pointing in the direction of the moon, then press L twice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement