Wisconsin 1, Logic 0

Started by
307 comments, last by JesseLFraser 19 years, 5 months ago
Click Clickerson
Quote:GRANTSBURG, Wisconsin (AP) -- School officials have revised the science curriculum to allow the teaching of creationism, prompting an outcry from more than 300 educators who urged that the decision be reversed...
A CNN web poll shows that 33% (3,169) of web-voting readers think that creationism should be taught in schools. I'm not a Biology major, so I don't presume to argue the specific merits of evolutionism, but I don't think credible mainstream science should be deprecated in favor of a theory whose basis is predominately religious.
You don't need to vote for the "lesser of two evils"! Learn about Instant Runoff Voting, the simple cure for a broken democracy!
Advertisement
I wonder if they teach all creation beliefes or just the Christian one.
I think the teaching of anything religious that is not in a social context should not be allowed in schools. Basically, I think it's fine to teach how Christianity or Judaism evolved and how it has impacted the world from a historical and cultural perspective, etc, but don't teach that God created the universe and control everything. If your history class wants to teach that that's what Christians believe or whatever, that's fine, but keep religion out of science classes, and if the religious people don't like that creationism isn't being tought, don't make their kids take the class, or that part at least.
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
People go to school to learn something that can be later used to help the world. Evolution is a useful theory; creationism is not.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by Tron3k
People go to school to learn something that can be later used to help the world. Evolution is a useful theory; creationism is not.
While I agree, man, you're asking for it.[wink]
*Hides in fallout shelter*
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
You don't understand - I was being very careful not to say creationism is wrong ...

Oh well. *arms himself with antimatter weaponry*
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by Tron3k
You don't understand - I was being very careful not to say creationism is wrong ...

Oh well. *arms himself with antimatter weaponry*
Yeah, there's a difference between wrong and worthless.[wink]
*Arms self with energon cubes* Ba weep granna weep ninny bang
I'll appease the savages.
I think Optimus Prime is going to come upon us any second now ... [wink]

Decepticons! Terrorize!
Real proof that evolution exists, from half-monkey/half-president.

Anyway with all the recent threads like "Chick comics" and that one aboot Sex Ed. in Texas, no wonder its called "Jesusland". Why the hell would anyone even try to teach science there?
------------------------------"Are you pondering what I am pondering?" - Fruny"I think so Brain, but how do we make a hockey game with DarkBASIC?" - Scint
Quote:Original post by Zorodius
I'm not a Biology major, so I don't presume to argue the specific merits of evolutionism, but I don't think credible mainstream science should be deprecated in favor of a theory whose basis is predominately religious.

Creationism does not even qualify as a scientific theory. It's simply a belief that fundamentalists are trying to bully into education.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement