Opinions needed on book title

Started by
31 comments, last by intrest86 19 years, 5 months ago
As some of you may know, Kevin and I are working on another OpenGL book. Although the *content* of the book is pretty much decided, we haven't settled on the name. A little background is in order. The original OpenGL Game Programming (OGLGP) has done quite well; it's one of Course's all-time bestselling game dev books. Earlier this year, we released Beginning OpenGL Game Programming (BOGLGP), which was a rewrite of the first 13 or so chapters of OGLGP, with many corrections and new material added. It also included 8 chapters from OGLGP on the CD. It was intended as the first of two books that together would serve as a greatly expanded 2nd edition of OGLGP. The second book will pick up where BOGLGP left off, and also cover topics from the remaining chapters of OGLGP. So it'll include coverage of shaders (both asm and GLSlang), VBOs, occlusion queries, special effects, advanced texture mapping, terrain, working with models, basic game engine design, etc. The working title for this book has been Advanced OpenGL Game Programming, but I'm not at all comfortable with the "advanced" since much of the material won't be, and it's a relative term anyway. Our publisher has recently suggested calling it OpenGL Game Programming, 2nd Edition. Note that this wouldn't change the *contents* at all. So it'd be missing the first 13 chapters from the first edition, which contain key OpenGL core concepts. My main concern here is that OGLGP was pretty much a complete introduction to OpenGL, and this one wouldn't be. The reader would have to buy it and BOGLGP, which wouldn't be at all obvious from the title. Another option is to call it OpenGL Game Programming, Volume 2. This would make it an obvious follow-up to OGLGP, but less obvious that it's a follow-up to BOGLGP. Also, it's not a truly accurate title, since we'd be covering some of the same material as in OGLGP (though it'd be almost entirely rewritten and expanded). The other title under consideration is More OpenGL Gane Programming, which leaves it open as a sequel for either. I think it makes it obvious that you'll be getting new information, and that it's also obvious that the book isn't intended for those who don't know at least some OpenGL. So, what do you think? Which title makes the most sense? Is there something else that would work better?
Advertisement
Continuing OpenGL Game Programming

You're continuing from where you started, but haven't quite got to advanced yet.
Intermediate OpenGL Programming. I really think that says it all, more so when they are stakced on the store shelf besides each other.
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Continuing OpenGL Game Programming

You're continuing from where you started, but haven't quite got to advanced yet.

Rofl, that's exactly what I was thinking before I scrolled down and saw your post.

Dave - I'd be for "More OpenGL Game Programming", but then I'm biased by books like "More Exceptional C++" or "More Effective C++". [grin]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I'm with evolutional and Fruny on this one, as I was reading I had 'More OpenGL Game Programming' in my head before I made it to the last paragraph
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
I'm with evolutional and Fruny on this one, as I was reading I had 'More OpenGL Game Programming' in my head before I made it to the last paragraph

Same here. [lol]

Enigma
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Dave - I'd be for "More OpenGL Game Programming", but then I'm biased by books like "More Exceptional C++" or "More Effective C++". [grin]
Yar, I was definitely influenced by those books.

Continuing is interesting too. I considered "Intermediate" but that seems kinda... bleh.
yeah, I wouldnt go with "Intermediate" either, it doesnt really flow as a book name imo... "Continuing" might work, which I guess would leave the door open for 'More OGLGP' and 'Yet Another Book on OGLGP' if you wanted [wink]
Quote:Original post by Enigma
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_

Same here. [lol]

Enigma

For what it's worth, I was think "More OpenGL Game Programming" too, or even "OpenGL Game Programming Extended".
Definitely "More OGLGP", and then possibly "Even More OGLGP" for the advanced book. "Continuing OGLGP" would be a bit of a mouthful and not nearly as appealing IMO.

I guess Intermediate would make it more obvious it was part of the BOGLGP series though, especially if the last book was Advanced OGLGP.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement