• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

My first game has been released!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 UberXenon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 2000 - 06:25 PM

OK, I just uploaded my first game to the showcase area. Block Blaster! is a simple Tetris clone that I wrote in C++ using Win32 and DirectX. I would love some feedback from some of you more experienced developers. The README.txt file has some info about the design and programming of the game, so be sure and read it. The entire source code is included in the download. Be sure and let me know what you think: byrdjb@email.uah.edu. Thanks a lot! ------------------------------------------------------------ Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB... byrdjb@email.uah.edu. Edited by - UberXenon on 10/16/00 12:26:45 AM

Sponsor:

#2 crazy-vasey   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 2000 - 08:36 PM

I almost forgot how much I loved tetris. I like the block explosion effect when you complete a line. Ran perfectly on my system

AMD K6-2 500
64MB PC100 RAM
16MB Voodoo Banshee

My Homepage

#3 Nazrix   Members   -  Reputation: 307

Posted 15 October 2000 - 09:09 PM

I forgot how much I liked Tetris too. The exploding blocks was a very nice touch. If I may make one suggestion, I think the enter key would be better for changing the block rather than the up arrow but that's just my opinion. I don't mean to be picky but everything else was very well-done

Ran well on mine too...
333 Cyrix
64 MB ram
4 MB Diamond Stealth II Video Card

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya --nes8bit --CmndrM " -- Nazrix

"If your parents didn't explain this one, I'm not going to." --Felisandria
"You know you're cool when you're in Nazrix's sig " --Martee
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 16, 2000 4:10:38 AM

#4 Quantum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 2000 - 09:49 PM

nice
the exploding block effect really kicks ass
i also like the ability to be able to see how many of what block has passed.

#5 s9801758   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 2000 - 10:30 PM

Cool!

Japio

#6 UberXenon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 October 2000 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! A few questions:

1. Has anyone experienced the weird crash that I talked about in the README? You''ll probably have to play several games to actually see it show up. This is very very strange.

2. I''d like some source code level feedback if anyone has the time to really dig into my code and see what''s going on. I made a lot of comments in the README about what I thought went well and what I thought I could have done better.

OK, thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------
Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...

byrdjb@email.uah.edu

#7 Jeremiah   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 October 2000 - 04:46 PM

hate to say this, but it doesnt work on my computer.

when i run it, the screen goes black, then comes back to my desktop. i even went and downloaded the directx 7.0a patch.

any suggestions?

#8 arsenius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 October 2000 - 05:36 PM

cool game dude

hopefully that worked

-arsenius
'after three days without programming, life becomes meaningless' -The Tao of Programming

#9 UberXenon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 October 2000 - 06:29 AM

Jerimiah: I''m not sure exactly what is going on with your particular computer. Why don''t you post the specs of your machine and I''ll try to think of what might be going on.

For the record, this was developed in Visual C++ 6.0 sp3 in Win2000 sp1, so I have only tested it thoroughly in Win2000. I noticed some possible strange problems with the timer that makes the blocks fall when I ran it on a Win98 box the other day. I may have taken some stuff for granted on the robustness of Win2000, so things may be a little flaky in 95/98/Me. Anyone else getting a crash right from the start like Jerimiah?

byrdjb@email.uah.edu

#10 Jeremiah   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 October 2000 - 08:23 AM

my complete machine specs...

IBM K6 233MHz MMX-Enhanced Processor
32 MB SyncDRAM Memory
3.2 GB Hard Drive
64KB L1 Cache
1 MB SyncGraphics Memory
64-bit ATI Rage II with Direct3D
running Windows 95

-jeremiah

i can only dream of a 1.4 Ghz with 256MB of ram hooked up to an O3 connection (not running windows).

#11 UberXenon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 October 2000 - 08:29 AM

I''m assuming "1 MB SyncGraphics Memory" means your video memory. In that case, 1MB *may* not be enough memory for all of the bitmaps, so that *might* be crashing the program. I havne''t added up all the sizes of the bitmaps/surfaces *exactly*, so it''s hard for me to say exactly.

Also, I noticed the other day when I was testing that my game hangs if you try to ALT-TAB out to another window. Questions:

1. How difficult is it do *disable* ALT-TAB from within your app?

2. Even better, what kind of work is involved with making sure your program can work correctly w/ ALT-TAB? Do you have to flush/reload all the surfaces and stuff like that when you trap an ALT-TAB?

byrdjb@email.uah.edu

#12 Nazrix   Members   -  Reputation: 307

Posted 17 October 2000 - 01:29 PM

quote:
Original post by UberXenon

I''m assuming "1 MB SyncGraphics Memory" means your video memory.

byrdjb@email.uah.edu

It means video memory? Are you sure? I''m no expert but how could he have a card that is advanced enough to support D3D and only be 1MB ov Video memory?

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

#13 Jeremiah   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2000 - 03:13 AM

im not sure if this would help, but maybe if you sent me an editted version of the game that would allow me to slowly walk through the loading of the game, i could tell you exactly where it crashes. it wouldnt even have to be the whole version of the game, just the loading up part. anyway, just a thought.

#14 UberXenon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2000 - 08:23 AM

Jerimiah: I really don''t want to take the time to edit it down to a "load-only" version. There are some message boxes built in that are supposed to pop up when a fatal error occurs, so I don''t know why it''s just bombing out with no message. Either way, since it''s a full-screen app, it''ll be really tough to debug without multi-montior or remote debugging set up. Was I right about you only having 1MB of video RAM? If so, I really think that may be what''s happening.

Also, this has got me wondering. I''m really just wanting to move on from this first game and start working on a new one rather than doing extensive testing to make sure that this works on a wide array of computers. I''ve declared this game "done" and I really just don''t want to mess with it anymore. How have some of you other folks handled this after you put out a game?

byrdjb@email.uah.edu

#15 Jeremiah   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2000 - 12:13 PM

thats fine. only reason i suggested that is to help you out if you wanted to know why it wasnt working correctly.

good luck with your future games!

#16 STVOY   Members   -  Reputation: 156

Posted 19 October 2000 - 10:04 AM

Well Now,

Lol, thats cool. Good luck with any more games you decide to make...

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS