• Create Account

- - - - -

Compiler

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 JTAnderson   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:56 AM

I just began checking out this scripting language. What I see so far, I like a lot. I was just wondering if there was going to be any organized formal effort the create a command line compiler (and maybe a linker) for this. I have checked out the one donated by Jiye Zeng, and the preprocessor by Deyja. I was wondering if there is enough of an interest in this part of the language to maybe organize an effort for a centralized command line compiler...? -JT

Sponsor:

#2 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3356

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:06 AM

I'm certain the interest would grow if someone were to start such a project. Are you interested in being the one who does that? [smile]

I myself won't have the time to do it, as I need to put my time into the library. But I'm willing to help out with ideas and answering questions when necessary.

Regards,
Andreas
AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#3 Gyrbo   Members   -  Reputation: 187

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:12 PM

I've been doing some work on a complete integration solution. This would be able to both import and export function from AS. In addition it would precompile the script.
I'm currently only working on a C++ parser and it would still take a fairly substantial time before anything workable is out. If you're interested in co-operating, contact me.

#4 JTAnderson   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:54 AM

Well, I agree with Andreas, that he should stick to the main library functionality and support there. I think the community could pick up the task of creating a compiler, linker and possibly even a debugger. I'll contact Gyrbo and see if I can help with his effort.

Maybe a small road map of what you would like to see Andreas would help kind of guide these external type projects.

#5 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3356

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe a small road map of what you would like to see Andreas would help kind of guide these external type projects.

Actually I don't think I'm the one who should define that road map. After all, I'm not the only one who will be using it. Maybe you could start a poll for feature requests or something like that.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#6 jz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:25 PM

I am Jiye Zeng, a new fan of AngelScript. I am glad to see some professional programmers, like JTAnderson, are going to work on a generic command line compiler. Let me know if I can be any help. But remember that I didn't formally take any C or C++ course or software engineering, so my approach may not be neat.

By the way, in the command compiler that I sent to Andrea, this line

if (engine->Build(0, &out) < 0)
throw error_message(fname, "Fail to build the script.");

in load_script() should be replaced by

if (engine->Build(module, &out) < 0)
throw error_message(fname, "Fail to build the script.");

#7 Deyja   Members   -  Reputation: 920

0Likes

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:59 AM

It should not be difficult to wrap a dos prompt around the angelscript lib. :D An afternoons work, if you've already got a command line parser around.

Also, feel free to dump my preprocessor in it. Just don't be upset if I make you change it when I start working on that thing again.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS