List of free libraries

Started by
195 comments, last by dcco 12 years, 10 months ago

Hello, fellow code-reuse fans!

For some time, I've been meaning to collect a list of all the free libraries that are available for game developers. By free, I mean everything from public domain code, through open source, and including the stuff that is free for non-commercial use only. But the emphasis is on getting technology into the hands of the developers so that we can make better games.

The first draft of the list is here. Obviously there's room for improvement. If you think this is a useful resource, give me some more libraries, the only restrictions being that they must be somehow legally obtainable for free use. Any other suggestions are welcomed also.

(EDIT: new web address as of 18th June 2007. Please update bookmarks. Thanks!)

(EDIT2: new address is here, but I've not updated it for a while, so expect some dead links. Sorry!)

[Edited by - Kylotan on June 18, 2007 3:14:35 PM]

Advertisement
Scripting Languages is empty, and yet you have Lua and Python in your sig. (perhaps guile should be added, as well...)
You have ClanLib as an unknown license, though it's currently LGPL, though they plan to release the next version under MPL.

I would add boost and loki to the list.

I would also like to give you a sound drubbing for neglecting to put Python on the list. And for that matter Lua, since both of those are in your sig. (edit: got beaten to the irony)
Well, its not been released to the public for beta testing as yet (documentation is a bitch at time, heh), however I'll submit my own library, nuffin like a bit of free promotion [grin]

Anyways, its called the OpenGL Window Framework (OGLWFW) and basically does what it says on the tin, acts as a framework to create OpenGL windows.
More details can be found on the site I'm slowly building here, should get a Win32 only release out early in the new year (its a matter of docs, 3 fixes and sorting out packages) with Linux to follow and if someone wants to help with an OSX port then that would be handy as well [grin]

Oh, and its under the zlib/png licence, mostly coz its nice and simple [smile]

Yeah, yeah, scripting languages will follow in the next few minutes. I'll just copy and paste the ones I did for the Scripting forum. :P

_the_phantom_, I couldn't find a download on the site... I can't really put a link up until there's a download available. You might also want to mention the license on the site cos I couldn't find a reference to it there. (Although it is in your post.)
meh, fair point should have thought in advance, I'll poke you once I've got the inital downloads sorted and licence mentioned, sorry about that, tiredness taking over [smile]
I would nominate CDX in the "General Purpose" libraries, I had a look at it a while back and it's a pretty decent library with many useful features.
OpenSteer for AI. [MIT license]

Fluid Studios provides a memory manager, matrix class, font generator, radiosity processor, and various other things.

Panda3D (Game/graphics lib, released by Disney after being used for Toontown Online)

math3d++ provides the normal matrix, vector and quaternion classes, and their associated operations.

BMF_Font bitmap font library (and font texture generator)

OpenSceneGraph - 3D engine.

Demeter Terrain Engine [LGPL]

John B

[Edited by - JohnBSmall on December 31, 2004 7:32:27 AM]
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
ARToolKit An augmented reality toolkit, works really nice and very fun to play with. Documentation is still in the works though so you will have to do with the examples.

MXRToolKit I haven't used this one but it appears to offer about the same as ARToolKit except it comes with documentation.

MathGL++ A c++ math library with a syntax similar to OpenGL. It's easy to use (as is, I imagine, most other math libraries), but I haven't decided wether the OpenGL syntax is a good thing.
NICE LIST! This is very handy!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement