• Create Account

List of free libraries

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
196 replies to this topic

#101 oscinis   Members   -  Reputation: 209

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:46 AM

HGE, Haaf's Game Engine.
Motto: "Fast and convenient development of high-quality small 2D games without knowing much about technology."

Stricly 2D-oriented, simple, technically advanced, completely and clearly documented, and (recently) open source.

Sponsor:

#102 Pipo DeClown   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Original post by oscinis
HGE, Haaf's Game Engine.
Motto: "Fast and convenient development of high-quality small 2D games without knowing much about technology."

Stricly 2D-oriented, simple, technically advanced, completely and clearly documented, and (recently) open source.

It's added already, and re-requested about 6 times.
I'm not back. I'm just visiting.

#103 g8minhquan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

Can I have some question?
What is the best (or the most popular) 3D engine in that list?
Is ORGE good enough for building a 3D RPG?
What is the best 3D engine for building a 3D RPG?

Thank you all.

#104 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:04 PM

There's also Open Physic Abstraction Layer, a very easy to use wrapper for ODE, more engines in the future.
http://opal.sourceforge.net/

#105 Rewpparo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:10 PM

Quote:
Original post by g8minhquan
Can I have some question?
What is the best (or the most popular) 3D engine in that list?
Is ORGE good enough for building a 3D RPG?
What is the best 3D engine for building a 3D RPG?

Thank you all.

I don't know all the engines in that list, but Ogre will definitely suit your needs. It's not limited to any particular style of game, you can use it for anything. I've been using it for a while without any problem

#106 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:49 AM

A few minor additions made. I hope Mozilla users appreciate the altered layout, too.

Any comments on the page, and how it could better serve you?

#107 Pipo DeClown   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:25 AM

More publicity! It's a great resource that should be shared.

#108 DrewGreen   Members   -  Reputation: 370

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

This list has saved me a lot of messing about.
I saw a link to this 2d physics library (using ODE) in the maths forum - Flatland. The demos are quite good, but sadly it's unusable with VC6 in its current form.

#109 myrdos   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:06 AM

Hi! I was wondering if you'd be interested in adding DyConnect to your list. Here's the link:
http://www.junction.bafsoft.com#dyconnect

DyConnect provides UDP support in the form of a socket wrapper, but it's mainly geared towards TCP/IP programming. I tried to make TCP/IP networking as high level as possible while still being general purpose. That is to say, there are no hidden DyConnect-specific messages being exchanged, and you could use DyConnect together with a non-DyConnect program.

You don't have to deal with sockets, buffers or threads yourself, and get the advantages of multi-threaded networking logic. But at the end of the day you're still sending and parsing bytes of data.

It's released under the zlib license, making it free to distribute.

#110 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

Hi guys

Maybe it would be worth adding SDL_Config to "Filesystems, persistence, and format parsing"... what do you think? :-) It's LGPL.

#111 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:20 AM

Hello, is there anybody here...? :-) It's been almost a week, and SDL_Config still isn't on the list. If it's not worth beeing there, just say that, and I'll shut up.

#112 Pipo DeClown   Members   -  Reputation: 804

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

Koshmaar, perhaps you could PM Kylotan about your post here. He probably doesn't check this topic regularly anymore.

Quote:
Anything to say or contribute? Contact me at gdlibs@kylotan.eidosnet.co.uk. Gamedev.net users can also send me a private message.

#113 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:33 AM

PMs are best, although to be fair I only update the list monthly anyway. Expect the next update to be in about an hour. Thanks!

#114 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
Anything to say or contribute? Contact me at gdlibs@kylotan.eidosnet.co.uk. Gamedev.net users can also send me a private message.

Ups, haven't seen this, sorry.

Quote:
PMs are best, although to be fair I only update the list monthly anyway. Expect the next update to be in about an hour. Thanks!

Thanks, it's there! Yay :-)

#115 Waffler   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

The list on this page is getting rather long, and most of the things I do not know much about. I see that the page uses PHP. Might I suggest a way for developers to rate each library on a number of criteria? For instance: ease of use, ease of learning, features, etc. This way such a list will appear less daunting.

EDIT: Might I also suggest more descriptive descriptions. For instance, what base dependencies a library is built on (i.e. A 3D graphics library which uses OpenGL for rendering, or a sound library which uses libogg. etc.).

#116 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

0Likes

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

I don't want to introduce ratings as I don't want to marginalise the less common libraries based on popularity and subjective opinion.

As for longer descriptions, it's a nice idea but collecting that data is quite awkward, especially across multiple platforms.

#117 Rob Loach   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1500

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:57 PM

Boo is an object oriented statically typed programming language for the .NET Framework with a python inspired syntax. It uses an MIT/BSD license agreement.

Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

#118 Shade37337   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

CLanlib is now (version 0.8 an later) published under the terms of the Clanlib license....you can see it on their website.......
can you update that ?????????

#119 Rob Loach   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1500

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

libMikMod is a audio module player and library supporting many formats, including mod, s3m, it, and xm. Originally a player for MS-DOS, MikMod has been ported to other platforms, such as Unix, Macintosh, BeOS, and Java. libMikMod falls under the LGPL agreement.

Thank you goes to zangetsu, in this thread, for pointing it out to me.

Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

#120 jeroenb   Members   -  Reputation: 257

0Likes

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:54 AM

People can use my 2D side scroller game engine JEngine SSE (still under development) for creating their own game. It is released under LGPL and currently includes Lua scripting, multiplayer networking, GUI, editor and much more. See http://jengine.homedns.org

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

Blog: Crafter 2D
Twitter: @crafter_2d

PARTNERS