• Create Account

Movies about programming?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#21 Ainokea   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

Quote:
Original post by stormrunner
<edit :: and the girl was hot. just thought i'd mention that.

Now you know it was complete bullshit. [smile]
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

Sponsor:

#22 stormrunner   Members   -  Reputation: 720

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Original post by doodle_sketch
The afore-mentioned Hackers, per chance?

no, i don't think so. he was being harrassed by the MS-clone and was also allergic to pumkin oil or something.

#23 Justaddwater   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

Quote:

A movie about an old school hacker

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

haha

I guess it wasnt about programming but remember the one with Fred Savage, about Mario 3 called the Wizard I think.

Also a book that is kinda fun that has some programming talk is Prey by Criton, I enjoyed it a lot.

#24 Crispy   Members   -  Reputation: 556

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

I can't believe Swordfish hasn't been mentioned yet...

#25 Rhaal   Members   -  Reputation: 754

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:27 PM

Quote:
Original post by Crispy

Because it's not about programming.

#26 MotionCoil   Members   -  Reputation: 464

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

Quote:

... I can.

#27 kSquared   Members   -  Reputation: 1356

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:58 PM

Quote:
Original post by nx02nx02
I just thought it would be kind of neat to watch a couple movies about programmers lives, their jobs, careers, etc. How they got there, what college they went to.

Hmmm, let's see. What has Hollywood taught us about programmers and computers?

-- Programmers either have super-high-tech and exciting jobs because they work at undisclosed locations in Nevada or an orbital space station; or they have mind-numbing slave-wage labor, on a par with telemarketing.

-- Programming requires only as much skill as typing on a keyboard. All computers have built-in natural language parsers and advanced Bayesian heuristic systems to deduce exactly what you mean. Thus, there is no ambiguity about which files you want when typing "recover files" to retrieve clandestinely deleted files, or "override system" to ignore those pesky "ACCESS DENIED" security warnings.

-- Some monitors are sufficiently bright to project an image of the screen onto your face.

-- All laptops have incredible three-dimensional graphics capabilities rivaling that of supercomputers, and no fewer than five or six GPS/satellite imaging uplinks that are able to pinpoint any location in the world and zoom in on it with a resolution on the order of centimeters per pixel. Some laptops also have phone-tracing capabilities and (built-in) powerful wireless antennas, to boot.

-- All computers display photorealistic 3D simulations without batting an eye, and typically have CPU speeds on the order of several petahertz.

-- Even the most outdated modems and disk drives are capable of data transmission exceeding several gigabytes per second. Exception: If time is of the essence, the rate of transmission will invariably slow down to pre-1970s download speeds.

-- All passwords take three guesses or fewer to crack by brute force. Failing that, the protagonist will be carrying a device which conveniently plugs into any port imaginable and "auto-cracks" the password. This latter solution is more commonly used on devices whose explicit purpose is authorization (e.g. security keypads or retinal scanners).

-- Important or sensitive information is always stored on a desktop. Such information is typically labeled in a prominent manner, by naming the folder or file something like "SECRET DOCUMENTS" or "ICARUS PROJECT FILES" or "EMPLOYEE RECORDS". This is always done in inch-high capital letters with a bold font.

-- All computers are connected to all other computers in the world, regardless of their location. Thus it is possible, from an isolated outpost in the Siberia wastelands, to "hack" into a nuclear power plant's coolant control pipes and cause a meltdown, even if the plant is halfway across the globe.

#28 Ainokea   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:01 PM

And as always hollywood is always correct.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

#29 izzo   Members   -  Reputation: 347

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
disclaimer : might have gotten confused with another film ;).

<edit :: and the girl was hot. just thought i'd mention that.

No that was antitrust, and the girl was the very yummy Rachael Leigh Cook.

cheers
sam.

#30 Crispy   Members   -  Reputation: 556

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:46 PM

Quote:
Original post by Rhaal
Quote:
Original post by Crispy

Because it's not about programming.

My bad - you're right: he's using a multi-monitor 3D GUI to drag-and-drop together a worm that appears in the form of a mineral crystal with some connectors desperately trying to float away into the void. I guess that won't qualify as programming, though.

#31 Crispy   Members   -  Reputation: 556

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:48 PM

Quote:
Original post by Ainokea
And as always hollywood is always correct.

See my previous post.

If you don't know how code breaking is done (in Hollywood, khm...), watch that Naked Gun movie.

#32 Tha_HoodRat   Members   -  Reputation: 143

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:22 PM

Pi

#33 Hedos   Members   -  Reputation: 674

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:42 AM

Just saw Pirates of Silicon Valley.
It was pretty interesting, I would recommend it.

#34 bL0wF1sH   Members   -  Reputation: 368

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

These are the ones in my collection:

-Hackers
-Hackers 2 (I don't think this was released in the US. I got it from a friend. It is about the life of Kevin Mitnick before he was caught. Very interesting)
-Anti Trust
-Pirates of Silicon Valley
-Triumph of the Nerds
-The Video Game Revolution
-Revolution OS (this is a documentary (albeit a very baised documentary) about Linux. You can get it on ThinkGeek)
-Wargames

Other technology-esque/geeky flicks I have:

-Matrix
-Sneakers
-Swordfish

I'm sure there are a couple others. And even though I don't own it (and I would say that people should NOT own it), I think every developer should at least watch "The Net" with Sandra Bullock, to at least have things to laugh at your entire career.

Another one that I desperately want to see but haven't yet is "Once upon Atari" which is available on DVD from ThinkGeek. It is about the rise and fall of the Atari brand.

Although I must say that I prefer some of my books instead:

-Masters of Doom
-Snow Crash
-Cryptonomicon
-Microserfs
-The Diamond Age
-The Difference Engine
-Neuromancer

and on and so forth...

Jason Olson - Software Developer[ Managed World ]

#35 0BZEN   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2013

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
Original post by Tha_HoodRat
Pi

Ah yes, Pi, more like progrhammering at some point, but good, weird movie noneless.

#36 Cold_Steel   Members   -  Reputation: 835

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:08 PM

Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Hmmm, let's see. What has Hollywood taught us about programmers and computers?
And lest we forget the classic from Independence Day, vastly superior alien technology:
1. is obviously binary
2. is fully compatible with the Macintosh
3. lacks security of any kind
4. is easily understood by humans (who speak English)

Yeah, Hollywood + computers = implausibilies abound

#37 Ainokea   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:12 PM

I just watched Anti-trust and I now I think I have seen the most hilarious movie ever, it is so obviously about Microsoft.

EDIT: Its every geeks dream for that to happen.

#38 flukus   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
Original post by Ainokea
I just watched Anti-trust and I now I think I have seen the most hilarious movie ever, it is so obviously about Microsoft.

EDIT: Its every geeks dream for that to happen.

I love the line near the start where the billionaire guy says something like "mines much more advacned than bill gates", just to try to seperate it a bit.

Is hackers the doco about the guy that created the wank virus?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS