Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta4 released

Started by
24 comments, last by mandrav 19 years, 3 months ago
Code::Blocks is an open-source cross-platform IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for C/C++ - currently ;) It is built around a plugin framework that allows it to be extended through the use of external libraries (plugins). Version 1.0-beta4 offers many improvements over previous versions and a more stable development environment. The major new feature of this release is the support for more compilers. GNU GCC was already supported but MS Visual C++ Free Toolkit 2003 and Borland C++ Compiler 5.5 are now natively supported by Code::Blocks! By natively I mean compiler command-lines, compiler options, warnings/errors reporting, etc. Improvements were also made to foreign project files importing. Better handling of Visual Studio 6 (.dsp) files and the new import capability for Visual Studio .NET project files (.vcproj). Another major improvement is that now Code::Blocks compiles under Linux too (tested under Debian unstable and Gentoo - gtk2 needed). Besides new features, thanks to many users' bug reports, quite some bugs have been pointed out and fixed. For more information visit Code::Blocks HomePage. Here is a direct download link for the win32 installer. I hope you enjoy this release! Yiannis :)
Advertisement
I was pondering trying this out tonight, so I downloaded this new version, and it can't even open the editor! :S

Everything else works, but when I click on one of the project files to open it in the editor, nothing happens.

???
Awsome I am going to switch from Dev-C++ to that. Good job!
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
I was pondering trying this out tonight, so I downloaded this new version, and it can't even open the editor! :S

Everything else works, but when I click on one of the project files to open it in the editor, nothing happens.

???

Can you be more specific? Like what OS, what type of file you 're trying to open, etc.
Also, it would be helpful if you could post the debug log text. If the debug log isn't visible, go to Settings/Environment and check "Display application's debug log".

Yiannis.
I'm going to give this a try tonight. What's the integration like with the GNU Debugger on Linux?
Quote:Original post by evolutional
I'm going to give this a try tonight. What's the integration like with the GNU Debugger on Linux?

Ah! A brave user to compile it under Linux!
A couple of notes. First check the top of the file Makefile.unix and, possibly, adjust for your environment. Then just issue "make -f Makefile.unix" followed by a "make -f Makefile.unix update".

I have tested it under Debian and Gentoo. It compiles correctly but only *works* when wxGTK is compiled against gtk2. With gtk1, although it compiles fine, it segfaults and the program doesn't run. I haven't found out why yet.

There is no "install" target in the Makefile.unix. You have to either install it manually (no instructions yet, sorry) or, better yet, run it from inside the build directory. Cd to src/output and run it by issuing "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./codeblocks.exe" (without the quotes).

About gdb integration now, it's basic. The debugger needs a lot of work yet. For now, it can start a debugging session, set breakpoints, add watches and step through code. There is also a menu entry "Debugger/Send command to GDB" which allows you to send *any* command you want to GDB manually...

Good luck ;)
Yiannis.

PS. You will also need the libraries built from contrib/stc and contrib/xrc in the wxWidgets sources.
PS2. The supplied Makefile.unix is built for wxWidgets 2.4. In order to compile for wxWidgets 2.5.x, a few adjustments are needed in the Makefile.unix file. The source, though, is completely compatible with both wxWidgets versions.

EDIT: added answer about gdb (completely forgotten it writing build instructions :)
Hey mandrav,

I finally got it working under FC2. Had a bit of trouble installing the extra wxWidgets stuff (mainly xrc's Makefile was faulty), but Code::Blocks installed fine after that.

This series of steps causes an error...
1. Load Code::Blocks
2. Select New Project -> Console App
3. Select some directory that isn't codeblocks/devel
4. Click sources->main.cpp
5. Click compile and run
6. Select New Project (or any other option)

It then complains about not being able to find certain files...possibly due to the base path being modified when the compiler is called...

EDIT: logfile

23:14:28: Cannot open file './share/CodeBlocks/resources.zip#zip:dlg_about_plugin.xrc'.23:14:28: Cannot open file './share/CodeBlocks/resources.zip#zip:dlg_about.xrc'.23:14:28: Cannot open file './share/CodeBlocks/resources.zip#zip:env_settings.xrc'....AND SO ON
Really nice, finally a free IDE that support Code Folding.
Unfortuantely, if you have a big project, it is not a good idea to switch from VC (or DevCpp) to CB and vice versa (VCB?).
because then you'll have to add a lot of files.
So it will be good if a DSW or DEV loader (and saver?) will be in Code::Blocks.
Or at least "load all cpp/h files from current directory" features (like, all .h files to directory x and all .cpp to directory y).
A gui editor tool will be nice (and useful) but i dont think its a must in the first version.

Good luck with your project,
pex.
pex.
Quote:Original post by pex22
Unfortuantely, if you have a big project, it is not a good idea to switch from VC (or DevCpp) to CB and vice versa (VCB?).
because then you'll have to add a lot of files.
So it will be good if a DSW or DEV loader (and saver?) will be in Code::Blocks.

Currently imports *.dsp (VC6), *.vcproj (VC .NET?) and *.dev (dev-c++) project files. Export to these formats is not available. For dev-c++ I might consider it at some point but for visual studio, I don't think so. I don't own visual studio (any version) and all MS's project files contain, among files and compile options, configuration options which I really don't know what they do. So how could it export something it doesn't know?
Anyway, Code::Blocks isn't intended to be tied with any other IDE. The only form of "communication" with other IDEs will be importing their project files. And this is provided just as a convenience to the user.

Quote:Original post by pex22
Or at least "load all cpp/h files from current directory" features (like, all .h files to directory x and all .cpp to directory y).

Right-click on the project (in the project tree) and select "Add files to project...". You can select multiple files simultaneously :)

Yiannis.
Quote:Original post by Kuladus
Hey mandrav,

I finally got it working under FC2. Had a bit of trouble installing the extra wxWidgets stuff (mainly xrc's Makefile was faulty), but Code::Blocks installed fine after that.

Another adventurous guy! Glad to hear it's working under FC2.

Quote:Original post by Kuladus
This series of steps causes an error...
1. Load Code::Blocks
2. Select New Project -> Console App
3. Select some directory that isn't codeblocks/devel
4. Click sources->main.cpp
5. Click compile and run
6. Select New Project (or any other option)

It then complains about not being able to find certain files...possibly due to the base path being modified when the compiler is called...

Thanks for the info. I will look into that.

Yiannis.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement