• Create Account

@SDL users, use OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#81 PnP Bios   Banned   -  Reputation: 490

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

Quote:
Original post by TravisWells
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
SDL_image is LGPLed. This means you can't practically distribute it as part of a static library.

Unless the library itself is LGPL'd.

but since my is using the zlib license...
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One

Sponsor:

#82 wyrzy   Members   -  Reputation: 430

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
SDL_image is LGPLed. This means you can't practically distribute it as part of a static library.

Unless the library itself is LGPL'd.

but since my is using the zlib license...

I am no lawyer, but you may be able to license your library under the zlib license, as long as you dynamically link to SDL. Users could rip out the code from your library if it was licensed under the zlib license, but they could not rip it from SDL.

I think the point is that you need to allow users to update their version of the library, once you decide to no longer support it. Say this is a 2-month project. You dynamically link to SDL 1.2.8. 2 months from then, SDL 1.2.9 comes out with bug fixes. Users should be allowed to write over the .lib and .dll files in your library, so they can use the mose recent version of SDL (according to the LGPL).

If anyone hear if a lawyer or is studying law, please feel free to correct me. I feel that it is a Bad Idea if you allow users to update a library that your application is linked against. Why? The new version could easily break functionality in your program because it relied on parts of the library that the new versio changed. But you need to compile with the license, so I don't think you have much a choice.

#83 Drew_Benton   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1713

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:10 PM

Quote:
Original post by wyrzy
I feel that it is a Bad Idea if you allow users to update a library that your application is linked against. Why? The new version could easily break functionality in your program because it relied on parts of the library that the new versio changed.

That is where COM would come into play [smile]. It might be extra work - but it would definitly solve the problems you have brought up. Anyone else agree - or am I on the wrong page?

#84 PnP Bios   Banned   -  Reputation: 490

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

For now, my library is staying static. I haven't had any time to take a look into DLL's.

#85 wyrzy   Members   -  Reputation: 430

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:36 AM

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Quote:
Original post by wyrzy
I feel that it is a Bad Idea if you allow users to update a library that your application is linked against. Why? The new version could easily break functionality in your program because it relied on parts of the library that the new versio changed.

That is where COM would come into play [smile]. It might be extra work - but it would definitly solve the problems you have brought up. Anyone else agree - or am I on the wrong page?

DirectX uses COM. However, I haven't heard of COM used much on non-ms operating systems. Also, Microsoft is pushing .NET Assemblies as a way to solve "DLL Hell". If and when .NET eventually does become cross-platform (I know there's a "standard", but that doesn't mean mono will follow it just like Microsoft), this could be an option for cross-platform libraries.

This is kind of off topic to PnP's library. But I really think you need to Dynamically Link to SDL PnP in order to license your library under the zlib license. I always like to stay out of trouble with legal issues.

#86 PnP Bios   Banned   -  Reputation: 490

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:56 AM

Even if I am dynamicaly linking to SDL?

#87 TravisWells   Members   -  Reputation: 276

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:44 AM

It's like this:

Staticly linked, or you've modified SDL/SDL-Image: Your library MUST be LGPL.
Dynamicly linked, or you distribute the library with the .OBJ files (not just the .LIB): Any license you want, since anyone can grab the source to SDL-Image, modify it, and relink it to your library.

My suggestion would be to switch to LGPL. It'll make distribution easier, and it's not different from zlib (The difference is: If I download your library, modify it and redistribute it, I have to use LGPL too.)
Although now any users of your library have to dynamicly link to it. (Unless they too are LGPL'd)

If you stay ZLIB, users of your library are going to staticly link with your library, but have to dynamicly link with SDL, SDL_Image, and all of SDL_Image's sublibraries.

If you LGPL your problem, it's less dynamic linking, since you can staticly link SDL/SDL_Image into your library.

#88 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:26 PM

Quote:
If you LGPL your problem, it's less dynamic linking, since you can staticly link SDL/SDL_Image into your library.

Yet that in itself is a hassle because I think few people can be bothered recompiling the gzip/jpeg/png stuff on Win32. And when they do change, PnP then has to consider updating his library, instead of just allowing users to drop in their own replacement. I really don't think it's worth it.

wyrzy: I don't think non-Windows people will care too much about COM or .NET assemblies to solve DLL hell, because it really isn't that much of a problem on their platforms. Whether this comes down to the more stable nature of the libraries, or the fact that programs are more loosely coupled there, or that most of these libraries are pre-installed on every system unlike with Windows, I couldn't say. I do think the fact that the Linux packaging systems don't tend to just go overwriting existing libraries goes quite some way towards this, however.

#89 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

I have a question here. If I were to post some amazing code right now, and not give it any license notice, then would it legally be considered public domain?

#90 Boder   Members   -  Reputation: 917

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

Looks like anti-necro didn't work.

#91 Drew_Benton   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1713

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:35 PM

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I have a question here. If I were to post some amazing code right now, and not give it any license notice, then would it legally be considered public domain?

I'd assume so, unless someone other than the original IP owner was the one that posted it. I.E. if someone simply posts code on this forum, it is not automatically in the public domain, only if that poster was the one that created it.

#92 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

Do you or anyone know of some resources to back that up? I'm trying to convince a friend to pull some of his code from a forum, or at least add a license to it. He thinks it's automatically copyrighted and there are no worries, but I'm not so sure.

#93 23yrold3yrold   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 914

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

Thread necro is bad. Making new threads is good! Make new threads. kthxbi

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS