Text-Based Games

Started by
20 comments, last by andrewjmays 23 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone know where I might be able to find a tutorial or something on how to make a Text-Based Game? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Advertisement
check out http://www.mudconnector.com
other than that, basically you learn some simple C/C++ and then get a little clever with string input/output. That''s it.

Are you even trying to be intelligent?
'cuz if you are, it ain't workin'

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

capn_midnight,

Hey thanks man!
icq me 67486469 and I will teach you how to make one
what about a text-based jump''n''run or racing game ? :-)
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
How about a text based version of Tetris? I don''t believe this has been done before.

OoMMMoO ,

Ok thanks. I''ll download ICQ (should only take a minute or 2) and you can teach me.
bishop_pass: Sadly, I have to inform you that there is an ascii-version of tetris for the unix and windows platforms. I don''t remember it''s name, but it is a network game for up to four players.

------------------
It's me again!
quote:Original post by Taharez

bishop_pass: Sadly, I have to inform you that there is an ascii-version of tetris for the unix and windows platforms. I don''t remember it''s name, but it is a network game for up to four players.

Ah, but I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Transcript follows:
There is red block in the shape of an L descending 3 squares from the left and 0 squares from the top. It is rotated 90 degrees clockwise. There are no blocks below.
PLAYER>rotate block counter-clockwise!
The red block rotates 90 degrees counter-clockwise. There is a red block descending 3 squares from the left and 1 square from the top.
PLAYER>rotate block counter-clockwise!
The red block rotates 90 degrees counter-clockwise. There is a red block descending 3 squares from the left and 2 squares from the top.
PLAYER>wait.
The red block descends one square.
PLAYER>wait.
The red block descends one square.
PLAYER>How far is the red block from the bottom?
The red block is 12 squares from the bottom.
PLAYER>wait.

Imagine the excitement.

LoL
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement